 Trains / 30063 (-100)
  Re: LDCC control from PC

(...) Here is a video of the test setup, consisting of a shunter with onboard uncoupling system, an underground, and the barriers... a total of 4 DCC decoders. I tried to film the layout together with the screen - sorry about the crappy quality, but (...) (17 years ago, 24-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  4-6-0 Olton Hall (5972)

My son was given the Hogwarts Lego train a few years ago which I added the 9 volt wheels to. I built up some extra coaches and it has done hundreds of laps around my layouts. I even made some movies featuring it in 2006 (URL) 2005 (URL) & 2007 (URL) (...) (17 years ago, 24-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LDCC control from PC

(...) Unfortunately, the layout on the picture is just a recreation of a layout from an old exhibition, so I don't have it any more (I wish I had enough space for it, heh). But I will try to put something together and make a video showing it in (...) (17 years ago, 23-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: LDCC control from PC

How about posting some pictures (or even better a video) of your layout in operation under the control of your program. Your idea looks very interesting. (17 years ago, 23-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LDCC control from PC

(...) Current status: - seems to be working fine with the second RCX sending sensor changes (using LNP with an user defined address), still testing it though. New features: - delayed stop - waits for all loops to get back to the initial state before (...) (17 years ago, 23-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Micro Steam Train

(...) I did enjoy it, great first post, and cool micro moc... looking forward to seeing what else appears in your folder. Janey "Red Brick" (17 years ago, 23-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Micro Steam Train

(...) Indeed we do, it is purely wonderful! Thanks :) Matija (17 years ago, 22-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Micro Steam Train

(...) nicely done! it's great to see newcomers to the lego train hobby. it's a great little moc. i look forward to seeing future mocs from you. ondrew (17 years ago, 22-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Micro Steam Train

(...) That's really great work! Nicely detailed for such a small MOC. Spotlighted. Thanks for sharing. Cheers Richie Dulin (17 years ago, 22-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Micro Steam Train

Hi guys, This is not only my first MOC announcement on LUGnet but also my first train creation. I don't have many of the train specific elements to build in the theme but the recent Creator micro train set inspired me to build one at a similar (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains) !!

  Re: Burlington Northern GP9

(...) Matt: Sweet! I'm lovin' the use of the minifig hands and the nice stairs/steps at the front and back. The studless design really makes this GP-9 look clean and I might have to revise mine to go a little more studless. Awesome work. A+! -Dave (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Burlington Northern GP9

In lugnet.trains, Matt Hamann wrote: ::snip:: (...) ::snip:: Great work, Matt! Very neat and very studless, too! The 5-wide cab looks great also. I also like the small details I am noticing, like the use of black minifig hands in the handrails. A (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: LDCC control from PC

(...) Cool! Keep posting on your progress. Benn (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Articulation with "working" connecting rods

(...) Indeed, it is good to get all the right parts in all the right places. It is also great to see the compilation of so many solutions that people came up with. I'm surprised that Neither Ben nor Anthony pointed out the idea of splitting the (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Burlington Northern GP9

Wow! I can just see hours and hours of work put in to designing it. It looks fantastic! Scott (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Burlington Northern GP9

(URL) Here is my take on a Burlington Northern GP9. The cab was the result of trying to reverse engineer Benn Coifman's five-wide cab on his (URL) Northern Pacific GP9>. Eventually I gave up on trying to duplicate his design and came up with my (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) See (URL). Sivan (17 years ago, 21-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) What I'd like to know about this set-up is how it copes with going over points. I've taken track power up into a mechanism through the pivot-point of a bogey, but I haven't powered a truck down through the pivot point like this. I can see that (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Articulation with "working" connecting rods

(...) Bit of a blast from the past, but I kinda didn't get around to doing any of this and forgot all about it until (URL) Cale's Y6b> put it back in my mind. I'd not thought of building a 9-wide before, but it certainly gives the loco a "muscular" (...) (17 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) That is exactly what I was/am looking at. Using the current line of PF modules to power a train. (17 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) I saw that one during a random scrounge through Brickshelf, but I thought it was a mock-up, but now I see it is a scratch built motor. (17 years ago, 20-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Three MOCs - space, trains and a vignette

...although only two are actually new. Estonian Hopper (URL) Well this one isn't new but I've finally taken photos of my old Estonian hopper design. Seven-wide and mixing new and old brown. Street Fashion (URL) My attempt at capturing the (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.space, lugnet.build.vignette, FTX)

  LDCC control from PC

Hello people, I got a bit tired of compiling and uploading programs to a second RCX every time I need to make a small change (ok, adding the possibility to do adjustments with the remote control helps a bit), so I decided to make a win-program that (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) Hi, On the subject, be sure to check Steve Barile's RailBricks #2 article about the PFS train. (page 6-7) - (URL) been able to point this at Jean-Marc but that's (AFAIK) an original idea by Steve. Lot of friction on the rails can be a goal. (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) Well, bear in mind I'm no train expert myself - and that this setup was thrown together a bit hastily; in particular, one gear train was too loose and would do an horrible noise when tortured. That said, I used it to pull a few of Ludo Soete's (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) I tried using pneumatics to make my train motor-- (URL) it was a valiant effort! Dave K (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) anyone care to chime in on how this setup does with pulling power? ondrew (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) I did one too, to show at a BeLUG event last november, but never got around to do decent pictures or post them here. The train isn't as nice as Swoofty's, but the principle for driving the wheels appears to be the same: (URL) Which is pretty (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scratch building a motor

(...) Brickshelf user "swoofty" built one (URL) not too long ago.> (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Scratch building a motor

I am curious to know if anyone has attempted to use the technic motors and gears to build their own train motor. (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10183 Hobby Train Question

(...) I believe some of the rolling stock in the box can be built with minor modification alongside the Crocodile. I seem to remember seeing someone (maybe Huw Millington) do something along those lines. Tim (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 10183 Hobby Train Question

(...) Ahh, I get it now. Unfortunately, I have no help for you on that one. I put the "Gator" train together and promptly sorted the rest of the pieces into my collection when I got my first Hobby Train box. The next 2 or 3 all got sorted (...) (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10183 Hobby Train Question

(...) Maybe I did not make myself clear. I have already built the main model, or what I call the main model, seen here: (URL) am wondering if there is another model that I can build with the extra parts that are left over. (17 years ago, 19-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10183 Hobby Train Question

(...) (URL) Here>'s a GG1 (17 years ago, 18-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 10183 Hobby Train Question

(...) Adam: Check (URL). LEGO has posted online instructions for a variety of alternate models. In addition, the GP-9 I recently built could be built using the Hobby Train box with a few minor modifications. (URL) GP-9 Thread> Leg Godt, Dave (17 years ago, 18-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  10183 Hobby Train Question

Hello, I am wondering what, if any, other designs I can build from 10183 after I have built the main model? I am referring to the long, 'gator' style train as the main model. (17 years ago, 18-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

(...) Fortunately the ugly track was confined to strait sections. If it was on the curves it may have been different. (...) Sweet (...) The Hudson and GG1 Belong to Mike Collaco. I don't know if he reads or posts on LUGNET but here is his (URL) (...) (17 years ago, 18-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

(...) ... (...) Wow! Now all you need is 150 coal cars (grin). Seriously though, that is fantastic to see it run so well. It is an inspiration to see it moving like that (and over the bumps between the tables... eek). Don't show these movies to (...) (17 years ago, 18-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS

(...) Hey Bob I have just tested your code, and it works good.But is it possible that you could write some documentation to your code, it would be nice to fully understand what your doing. Best regards Kim Andersen (17 years ago, 17-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Hiawatha steam locomotive

(...) Very clever and simple design. The Train does look better with the dark red. And the GPs are nice too. It's sweet that you were able to work in a headlight. Didn't notice that before. I haven't messed with lighting too much. The 1x2 9v light (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

(...) I tried the gears when I built my (URL) Decapod>. I think I went with the chains because of too much slop in the gears but I may have to go back and experiment some more. (...) Almost forgot. Here are some movie of the engine traversing some (...) (17 years ago, 17-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Hiawatha steam locomotive

(...) We'll I finally was able to snap a few photos of the front truck fix for my Hiawatha at (URL) last week's show>. Before the fix the engine ran fine at home but would always derail at shows. After some diagnostics, it became clear that with the (...) (17 years ago, 16-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  RAILBRICKS #2 is out!

I’m proud to announce the release of issue #2 of RAILBRICKS! It's a little later than we had hoped, so we crammed in 16 more pages! (2 URLs) Download issue #2 at the following links: Single file download: (13.5 mb - Adobe Reader 5.0 or greater) (...) (17 years ago, 15-Feb-08, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish.railbricks, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX) !!

  GPLR to show at GTX show February 16th & 17th

The Greater Portland Lego Railroaders is planning to exhibit at the Great Train Expo this Saturday and Sunday, February 16-17, 2008. We have a number of new members and this will be a first show for many of them, with much of the 26' x 26' layout (...) (17 years ago, 15-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.announce) !

  Re: 4.5 / 12 Gray Rail Variations

(...) I see it now. I thought it was a shadow. (17 years ago, 15-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4.5 / 12 Gray Rail Variations

(...) No, not if you look at the picture. I've either only got one type or never noticed the difference myself. Tim (17 years ago, 14-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: 4.5 / 12 Gray Rail Variations

(...) Wouldn't those notches be used for the wires to the conductive rails? (17 years ago, 14-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  4.5 / 12 Gray Rail Variations

(URL) This is a picture I took with a variation of these 2 parts There are apparently 2 slightly different molds of these 2 parts, I think I knew this before but had forgot about it until today. One type has an extra notch that let you connect a 2 (...) (17 years ago, 13-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: PF IR RC protocol released! - NXC

(...) Many thanks John and Jason for your work on this. I am a comparative newbie to NXC programming but I have my NXT working like a PF IR remote handset now that I set up the sensor correctly! NXC has given me the programming environment to (...) (17 years ago, 5-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) Many thanks John and Jason for your work on this. I have been using the NXC functions to control PF IR receivers from my NXT. TLG has just released the following information: "We have been testing the LPF RC Receiver today and discovered an (...) (17 years ago, 6-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Thanks for that. Sorry it has taken so long for me to reply, I was not able to post since beginning of the month. (17 years ago, 13-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mind the gap! London Underground 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Steam Loco

(...) David, the model looks great. I used some similar techniques when I built my 0-6-0 pannier tank engine. "Duck" from the Thomas the train series. (2 URLs) This is the near complete model, I later switched the roof to black tiles and lower, and (...) (17 years ago, 12-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.underground, FTX)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) It looks like the PF IR receiver will be very useful for train control and other continuous duty applications. But the only remote available is for intermittent operation. So the only LEGO option to running in PWM/continuous duty is to use a (...) (17 years ago, 31-Jan-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Old Dark Grey Train Track available in Online Pick-a-Brick

It appears that "Old Dark Gray" 9V Train track is available in Pick-a-Brick again! Stock up while it lasts. (URL) (17 years ago, 12-Feb-08, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) If the uncoupling is for the switching yard, have you considered an on-loco uncoupling device? It does have it's limitations but at least it can be moved around the layout realistically. See my effort.. (URL) like to build a trackside one too. (...) (17 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) Here's my fantasy: implementing prototypical ATC (Automatic Train Control) signalling with sensors (e.g. counting coupler magnets, as the best functional equivalent to axle counters) at block boundaries to detect block occupancy, and IR (...) (17 years ago, 2-Feb-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The philosophy of manual uncoupling

(...) This could be made to fit in a 6-wide: (URL) sure how you'd disguise the IR receiver though (17 years ago, 5-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Mind the gap! London Underground 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Steam Loco

In my continuing theme of London Underground rolling stock I have turned to steam traction. This is a Metropolitan Line 0-6-0 Pannier tank loco. Their E and F class steam locos were becoming too old so London Transport Railways (now London (...) (17 years ago, 10-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.underground, FTX)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

(...) I kept looking at the pictures wondering why you had the chain hidden in the running gear, then I finally noticed that your side rods are actually split in two, clever. If my mind is firing on all cylinders, you might be able to get the same (...) (17 years ago, 2-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: GP-9 Locomotive & 136-Stud Truss Bridge

(...) Jordan: Thanks! No, it wasn't built specifically from the Hobby Train box. The base came from the Holiday Train and some of the other pieces were from other various sets. I just pulled the pieces I needed from my sorted/stored collection. (...) (17 years ago, 7-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: GP-9 Locomotive & 136-Stud Truss Bridge

(...) ::snip:: Nice work, Dave! That's one big bridge... And the loco looks quite faithful to a GP9 - was it built from parts in the Hobby Train Box? It has the look of that same color scheme. -Jordan Schwarz (17 years ago, 7-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  GP-9 Locomotive & 136-Stud Truss Bridge

Just finished up a couple new Train MOC's this week and figured I'd share with the community. First up is my take on the EMD GP-9. The EMD GP9 is a 4-axle diesel locomotive built by General Motors Electro-Motive Division between January 1954 and (...) (17 years ago, 7-Feb-08, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  [Press Release] BayLTC at Santa Clara Convention Center

For Immediate Release Contact: Russell Clark rclark at telis.org 408.605.5412 (cell) SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA, CA - The Bay Area LEGO Train Club (BayLTC) is pleased to announce that we will be displaying for the fifth time at the Train Collectors (...) (17 years ago, 7-Feb-08, to lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Trains-n-Town website.

(...) Jeff, Thanks for the input. I am glad folks like the layout, I worked hard to try and put as much functionality into the site before I opened it up. I also did a lot of work experimenting with colors and design so I am glad the work has paid (...) (17 years ago, 6-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  Re: New Trains-n-Town website.

In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley wrote: SNIP Looks cool! One thing I noticed: on the brick word 'trains' in the logo pic, the yellow 'a' has the 1x3 along the bottom. I wonder if the 1x3 should be vertical along the right side to better imitate the (...) (17 years ago, 6-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town)

  New Trains-n-Town website.

Hey folks, Many of you know that I setup and have run the Save 9V Trains site for some time. Well the usefulness of that site has come to an end. Being the insane LEGO fan that I am I just had to do something else. To that end I have set up a new (...) (17 years ago, 5-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.town) !!

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) rats! (...) Thanks for the heads up, John Looks like I really have to start brushing up on my NXT 'bot building now. Dave K (17 years ago, 4-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) Dick Swan's replacement RCX firmware also does not support directly manipulating the IR led and it doesn't support microsecond timing control. Both of these features would be required in order to send the IR messages to a Power Function or R/C (...) (17 years ago, 4-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

In lugnet.general, Jason J Railton wrote: <snip> (...) I'm runnign Dick Swan's alternate firmware that he sent me a while back. Dave K (17 years ago, 4-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) I doubt that's possible - a bytecode program just can't run fast enough to do the timing for the IR commands, on either brick. The NXT can only manage it because it sends them over a slow comms link to a HiTechnic IRLink sensor, then that (...) (17 years ago, 3-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) <snip> Nicely done John! Is there a tentative timeframe when NQC for the RCX will be updated to support IR to the LEGO powerfunctions? Dave K (17 years ago, 2-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Remote Switch (was: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .)

(...) I love Rick's awesome spear switch idea. I kept running it through my head to see if I could make it any smaller. I came up with something this morning: (2 URLs) Full Gallery of my prototype> I only have technic motors, so I wanted a solution (...) (17 years ago, 2-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) In collaboration with Jason Railton I have modified/extended the NBC and NXC API functions for the HiTechnic iRLink device in support of the newly documented Power Function modes as well as the R/C Train IR protocol. I uploaded a new (...) (17 years ago, 1-Feb-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics) !

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Jeff emailed me directly as he is having problems posting While my Kadee site has been down for awhile, I did give permission to another site to use my images and text which you can find (URL) here> I have never given anyone else permission to (...) (17 years ago, 1-Feb-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

(...) Thanks (...) It runs well at home. It will even take switches at slow speeds. Hopefully I'll have a chance to run it on (URL) WamaLTC's> layout at the Great Scale Model Train Show in Timonium Md. this weekend. We'll see how it performs under (...) (17 years ago, 31-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Jeff Christner used Kadees on his layout many years ago. His site is gone but the Wayback machine has the (URL) but unfortunatly only one pic. He also talks about it (URL) here> Ondrew Hartigan has also done (URL) some experimenting>. Tim (17 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Hmm, not much room for weight there, unless you have a load (17 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

(...) Wow! Both a nice build and it looks to have a heck of an engineering feat in the running gear as well. Thanks for including all of the pictures of what's behind the curtain. Is it a good runner? Seeing models like this make to attempt a larger (...) (17 years ago, 30-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Most of my cars are okay. The one I have the most trouble with is my (URL) car>, which sometimes even hops the tracks during coupling if I don't have a log load on it. -Elroy (17 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Here's a colour version including the race track (URL) (17 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Have you considered weighting your cars? I know the NMRA has a standard recommended weight for HO cars. Tim (17 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Those are all excellent. The manual pick works really well, even on my light skeleton log car. I tried a side uncoupler, but it pushes some of my light cars off the tracks. I love that remote switch. I may have to try that out. Thanks for the (...) (17 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  New Power Functions Electronics Folder

The new Power Functions Electronics folder in my Brickshelf: (URL) contains circuits and pictures of how to use electronics with your PF parts. So far there are PF lead mods, a light direction, latch and flash circuit, which can keep train lights on (...) (17 years ago, 29-Jan-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS

A new version of my Power Functins library and PWM remote are now available at: (URL) There was some code cleanup and fine tuning. The PWM remote program now goes from slowest to fasted speed. give it a try and thanks for all the feed back so far. (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote: -snip- (...) On the topic of fun, classification, and yard work, have you tried John Allen's Timesaver switching puzzle? It's very compatible with LEGO. A version I created is available here: (URL) The nice think (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

The layout looks great (you will be so much happier with it when it's up on a table)! It's really hard to resist the temptation to make a loop, but point-to-point layouts have many more interesting possibilities. I think you'll be having fun with (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Using a standard #1 knuckle coupler is an interesting idea. But instead of using the raw shank version, why not go with one that is mounted in a draft gear box? A little epoxy or MEK could probably mount the draft gear box on a hacked brick. (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

Hi Cale! This is a great build, I am very impressed! I very much enjoyed seeing this fantastic model. You do excellent work. Thank you, Eric Sophie (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) If you really want knuckle couplers for your LEGO trains, you could try these; (URL) They're made by Kadee (famous to all model railroad fans for their couplers). On their (URL) site>, they retail at 4,95$ for a pair. By modifying the shank (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote: (...) Cool. I was worried that my reply was a bit arrogant. I spend a lot of time on the design of my layouts. Spending all year planning the design of the track and changes to the models, for an exhibition (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) I expand one more baseplate, it looks like I could angle my yard down, and actually gain a bit of length by adding some curves to the switches and straights that I currently have. I'd also have room to expand in the future. I'll have to play (...) (17 years ago, 28-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

Nice idea I like seeing yards in layouts. Even better if you can get some automation on switching and de-coupling. My only beef is with the switch layout. We see so many layouts where the design on the switch points is basic. I would rather see more (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Heh. Compact is a relative term. It barely fits between the basement wall and the stairway. :-) I could actually make it smaller, but I designed it around the A/D track, which I made just long enough to hold the Adventurer's train that I built (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) Uncoupling is probably my biggest issue. Right now, I'm doing it by hand, which means holding a set of cars apart with one hand and working the speed control with the other. This isn't too much of a problem down in the yard, but it's a stretch (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) A man after my own heart! I love yards, love designing yards. You have covered all the basic functions in a nice compact model. The car card system will be a lot of fun. I've always been a fan of "layouts with a purpose" -- producer/consumer (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

I'm really looking foward to this. My biggest beef with pretty much every Lego layout I have seen is that they are basically a glorifed roundy roundy train set (ignore the fact that Lego trains are basically a glorifed train set!) There are some (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Power Functions infra-red RC protocol released!

(...) Very good. Have you done experiments to map the power level settings to RPM? I am guessing that each of the 7 steps sets literally a power level (PWM width) and not a speed. Have you done experiments under load to see what happens to the speed (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Power Function control with RCX and BrickOS

(...) Could it be that the long range mode of IR is not set (I saw no reference to range setting in your source, and I don't know the default state). Despite the difference in carrier frequency, the RCX 1.0 and RCX2.0 are able to dialog albeit with (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Long Span Suspension Bridge?

(...) How much clearance should I have track to (...) At work they like to quote the statement "Standards are great. That's why we have so many of them." Standard height is whatever you and whomever you interoperate with agree on. At SCLTC, standard (...) (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Scale Modelers Aren't the Only Ones . . .

(...) I used TrackDraw for the layout, then put a screen shot into Photoshop to add the notes. There's a Yahoo group for TrackDraw at (URL). I've found it pretty useful for playing with different layout ideas. -Elroy (17 years ago, 27-Jan-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact