 Trains / 30012
Re: Mind the gap! London Underground 0-6-0 Pannier Tank Steam Loco
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.underground
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:28:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Tabner wrote:
   In my continuing theme of London Underground rolling stock I have turned to steam traction. This is a Metropolitan Line 0-6-0 Pannier tank loco. Their E and F class steam locos were becoming too old so London Transport Railways (now London Underground) bought two then another eleven of these locos for utility duties and they served there from 1956 to 1971. These last steam locos on the Underground.

The design is similar to other models of 0-6-0 pannier tanks but with the constraint of the use of dark red as the body livery. The cab windows, being done with technic brick 1x2s are currently black, with dark red ones on order (BL) as these are very rare in dark red. The lower half of the pannier section is completely upside-down and blocked in place. Unlike the other pannier tank models I seen, I have chosen to have the hinged third set of wheels (i.e. not the motor) at the front, so that the motor is central. I happened on the funnel arrangement by chance, it being the drum of a winch 2x2x2 mounted on a tile 2x2 with vertical pin. I have come to think that the model is actually not tall enough, so I intend to re-build it soon with one or two more plates of height in the main body and perhaps the chassis.

My next LU steam loco model is to be either an A class 4-4-0 or a G class 0-6-4, both of which are currently being worked (as this was) in MLCAD.

This model will be displayed at Brighton Modelworld (15-17th Feb) and hopeully in the rebuilt form at the London Transport in Miniature event (London Transport Museum Depot, Acton, London, 8-9th March).

PLMKWYT.

Thanks, David

David, the model looks great. I used some similar techniques when I built my 0-6-0 pannier tank engine. “Duck” from the Thomas the train series. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1652576

This is the near complete model, I later switched the roof to black tiles and lower, and swaped in green parts for those that are “painted” in the photo.

Mat