 Trains / 30005
Re: Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 18:19:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:
Norfolk & Western Y6b 2-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive
Thanks for including all of the pictures of what's
behind the curtain. Is it a good runner?

I kept looking at the pictures wondering why you had the chain hidden in the
running gear, then I finally noticed that your side rods are actually split in
two, clever.

If my mind is firing on all cylinders, you might be able to get the same effect
with a hidden middle axle with another gear between the #2 and #3 axles.

It runs well at home. It will even take switches at slow speeds. Hopefully
I'll have a chance to run it on <http://wamaltc.org/ WamaLTC's> layout at the
Great Scale Model Train Show in Timonium Md. this weekend. We'll see how it
performs under show conditions then.

Very nice! Please do post an update

I love your Hiawatha and Northern Pacific 10 wheeler. I love to see you do
another steam engine.

Thank you, mostly good ideas borrowed from those who came before me. I still
need to get photos of the Hiawatha fix up on line (I've barely had time to
build, much less photograph, but we have a show next weekend so I should at
least get a few there). I've also done a repaint so the redish brown is now dark
red (I'm surprised how much better it looks).

As for another steam engine, well, you'd be doubly tickled to know that one I'm
thinking of starts with a "J"... but probably not for another few months.

Benn