 Trains / 30022
Re: Hiawatha steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 05:41:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Benn Coifman wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Cale Leiphart wrote:
   Thats great to hear. Your Hiawatha passenger train is quite nice and steam engines look much better when running than wasting away in a train yard. I know all to well how finicky LEGO steam can be. My Pennsy Decapod is a pretty solidly built engine but can be a real pain on uneven track due to it’s long wheelbase. I’m interested in seeing your pilot truck solution.

Cale

We’ll I finally was able to snap a few photos of the front truck fix for my Hiawatha at last week’s show. Before the fix the engine ran fine at home but would always derail at shows. After some diagnostics, it became clear that with the three points of contact, ridges in the rails would lift the front trucks off the tracks (the tables are a little un-smooth).

Here’s a thumbnail of my solution retrofitted on to the older design,

The front truck is rigidly fixed in line with the track, but is allowed to drop down as much as is needed to follow the uneven track and it still rotates to follow curves. If I were designing this engine from scratch, I would have used technic beams to build the hinge, but that will have to wait until the next steam engine.

I had problems with the engine picking a switch just after a curve, so it isn’t perfect, but the switch was sent to detention for causing trouble and everyone was happy.

Before the show I also completed the repaint from redish brown to dark red (I still need to get a photo of the bucket of brown).

Although it is hard to tell from the photos, it does look strikingly different in person. Cosmetically, I changed the start of the stripe on the rear of the tender so that it is now a half circle rather than rectangular (more prototypical) and wrapped the red around the very front of the orange stripe on the locomotive (not prototypical, but looks better than it did as long as I remain unwilling to try to bring the orange all the way around the nose).

I also got tired of playing with the trainline to power the headlight from the motors in the tender, so I stashed a battery box inside the boilder. Both days of the show I forgot to turn of the headlight (Doh!).

On a semi related note, I got two better shots of the GP20’s too.

Benn

Hiawatha Full Gallery