 Trains / 24134
  BNSF new paint

Subject says it all... (URL) FOREVER! Jim (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) this new logo is introducing incompatability in my collection! Larry Pieniazek, BNSF fan since they merged, 2004 BNSF transportation purchases: 0, 2005 BNSF transportatoin purchases (after the new logos and paint): 0... That'll show them! (1) (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Hear Hear! It's almost ironic that lego's model is now outdated, what with this heritage IV coming out (or is it III?) Gotta admit it looks MCUH cooler than the old one though. Legoswami Samarth (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) From the images it looks like it is only the logo that changed, not the paint scheme. Is that correct? Or am I missing something? jt (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Na. Too trendy. The Cigar Band nose logo is much cooler thsn some "lightning bolt"ish thing. (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Sheesh. If it ain't broke, DON"T FIX IT! File this one under "decisions made by marketing geniuses". This is horrible. They should have stuck with the Santa Fe logos. If they had wanted to be hip, they could've resurrected the (URL) ying-yang> (...) (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Have to agree Tim (19 years ago, 25-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Meh... I think its because you guys are old school. Which is not to say I don't like any of the old stuff; For example, I LOVE hood units from ALCo, EMD- but I like the new Diesels (and the schemes) as well. Its a relief from some of the (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Hey, Lar, he's saying we are old! :-P Tim With regards the blue tiger, I have to say that stylistically it just doesn't float my boat, my preferences are things like this angular German (URL) DB 185> or the more rounded Swiss (URL) BLS 465>. (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) ;-) (...) You'd have to admit though that doing it's front windscreeen will be TRICKY. While mentally designing it I've been thinking of using some 1 x 6 arch bricks placed upside down; but that's half the job. Then you have to figure out how (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) I can't detect the paint change either, just the logo. Since I still see quite a bit of BN Green still operating, I don't think the current GP38 offering will be out of date anytime soon. I've never applied the stickers to any of my stock yet. (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Sorry, that thing is ugly. No offense, it looks like it has a lot of power and sophistication, great technology, etc, and it would be an interesting model, but it is fugly ugly. There's no accounting for taste I guess. I personally like the (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) It was a merger rather than outright purchase, I think. BN was bigger than ATSF but as sometimes happens, many of the ATSF people ended up running things at least for a while, as ATSF was arguably a better run railroad pre merger than BN. (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Well, I won't be holding it against you. I do remember that the first time I saw it, (Irony) it was on a forum and bieng laughed at for its ugliness. So there. Seems not many people like it anyway. (...) I always thought that the PA's nose was (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) A very poor rendition when viewed at this remove (although it did have the long nose)... it is ironic that you mention that at this time. (and that's all I will say) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Thats quite cryptic... but I assume it has something to do with your 'wire routing' post. Legoswami Samarth (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

Snip (...) A lot of the British diesel designs of the 50's and 60's had the nose, which is probably their most distinctive design element. As well as the (URL) Deltic> (class 55) and 37, the classes (URL), (URL) 44>, (URL) 45>, and (URL) 46> also (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Fairbanks Morse diesel locoomotives used a very successful opposed piston (1) diesel engine first developed for us in US Navy subs. (URL) - two pistons sharing a common combustion chamber per cylinder, IIRC... (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) What the Larry Pieniazek Bobble Head Doll is that? Derek (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) (snip) (...) (URL) page 60 or (URL) those last ones for best results) Those same engines were used in the FM TrainMaster diesels... Ironically, FM also now has the replacement/maint parts license for Alco/GE diesels... But... you're kidding (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Ok after giving Larry farfignuten for not Googling something I figured I should Google it myself. Not an easy find, but is this the kind of thing you're taking about? (URL) never seen an engine design like that before. Very odd. Derek (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Is *that* what it was, I thought you were baiting with that pejorative term... (1). But more importantly, what are you babbling about? I *know* what the engine term is. So does Tim. This is lugnet.trains after all, so why should I google for (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Without stepping on anyone's toes, I think the fact that the individual interests of trainheads themselves- within the trainhead (read .trains) community itself, differs. Afterall, interest in railroading (or any subject for that matter) (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Ironically (1) that's exactly the same link as I gave in my post, it was just hidden by the ftx! Tim (1) OK, its probably not ironic, probably some other word (2) (2) I'm getting into this footnoting thing (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Coincidental. (...) I'm thinking of taking it up too. Legoswami Samarth (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Interesting, I didn't know that. I don't know about the mechanical merits/demerits of opposed pistons I suspect they have higher maintenance requirments that a conventional piston singal piston design. I also suspect that the FM application (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Sorry Larry, I've had far too many M&Ms today. And I just can't stop eating them. My question was in fact was serious. I didn't understand how an engine could have two cylenders share the same combustion chamber. I realized after that I asked (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Nuts. I did travers the thread through your post, but I missed that link completely. I wasn't until Larry's post that the engine consept hit me. I did backtrack, but I missed the link the second time though. Now I want to build one of these. (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Well now I'll display MY ignorance... I know that a lot of 2 cycle engines are valveless but I did not think it was mandatory that they not have exhaust valves. Anyway, I am pretty sure the FM is 2 cycle, I think the Alco 244 was (but too lazy (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) They are probibly a lot more efficent when whey do have exhaust vales. A basic two stroke doesn't clear the cylinder of exhaust very efficiently. By opening the top of the cylinder through exhaust valves the rush of intake air will definitly (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Oh ya, no doubt. I think one of the reasons for this whacky two piston, one cylinder, central combustion chamber arrangement is that in an exhaust port system, with the proper amount of lag between cylinders, you can arrange the exhaust to (...) (19 years ago, 26-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) The big advantage of a OP engine is that you get good scavange air flow via the two ends of the cylinder being open at the same time. So, yes, it is in some ways more complex (timing gears between crankshafts, rather than valves), in other (...) (19 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) Snip (...) Atually, from what I remember of the movies we watched @ school, the air exchange can run up to about 98% clean air in a loop type arrangement. That's using something like 200% excess air in order to clear the cylinder of combustion (...) (19 years ago, 27-Jan-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Peak Diesel Engine (was Re: BNSF new paint)

(...) Finally got round to posting some pics of my Class 44 Peak diesel engine. When moving over the points, the articulated bogies are a sight to behold! (3 URLs) PLMKWYT Mark (19 years ago, 9-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: BNSF new paint

(...) How about these for a Lego class 37 in jaded faded BR blue! (URL) built this at least 3 years ago and have not had the heart to take it apart to improve it yet. I guess I'll end up building an updated version alongside it, probably in (...) (19 years ago, 9-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Peak Diesel Engine (was Re: BNSF new paint)

In lugnet.trains, Mark Bellis wrote: SNIPPIFICATION (...) Mark, This looks really nice! Now I *have* to know how you did the bogies. The Proto is 4-axled right? Your bogie design seems very inriguing. I also like the use of the space radar dish as a (...) (19 years ago, 10-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Peak Diesel Engine (was Re: BNSF new paint)

(...) My favourite shot, really gives the impression of the bulk of these machines. Love the names as well, some of my favourite mountains. Good shot of 'Penyghent': (URL) Hang 8 maroon Mk1s behind it, and stand back! How much dark red do you have?! (...) (19 years ago, 10-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Peak Diesel Engine bogie articulation

(...) Yes, each bogie has 4 axles. On ine the middle two axles of each bogie are the motor, with the others articulated. Each articulation uses a double wishbone steering arm: (URL) and this right angle axle joiner: (URL) with the axle joiner round (...) (19 years ago, 10-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Peak Diesel Engine (was Re: BNSF new paint)

(...) Hey just had to chime in. I like the engine, but I had to add that I like the "support beam visible through the vent effect" that you did with the SNOTted grille tiles. Chris (19 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Peak Diesel Engine (was Re: BNSF new paint)

(...) Thanks :-) I particularly like the fact that the effect is easier to achieve with Lego in 8mm scale than in HO or OO in 3.5mm or 4mm scale. Using SNOT with grille tiles gives a finer grille than just alternating plates, and there's some relief (...) (19 years ago, 11-Feb-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.schleim)

  More obscure diesel variants (Was Re: BNSF new paint)

Mark's (URL) mention> of the Fell led me to look it up. It seems needlessly complicated and basically the result of trying to prove a mistaken point (that mechanical transmission could be as good or better than electrical) (URL) If you're (...) (19 years ago, 21-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: More obscure diesel variants (Was Re: BNSF new paint)

(...) Actually, I tend to think that it was more along the lines of the original 1950 plan- try everyting, and see what works and what doesn't work. Just because the FT was great in NA did not mean that it was going to be the best way to dieselize (...) (19 years ago, 22-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: More obscure diesel variants (BoCo)

(...) Not a real one, but (in a shameless self-plug) my model of one won a prize at Hull model railway show last November. Here it has red buffer beams, like the illustrations of BoCo in the Awdry books: (URL) For the official prize photo I changed (...) (19 years ago, 22-Apr-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)