 Trains / 23258
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:39:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Jason J. Railton wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
A dogbone is good for giving an impression of a double track main line,
especially if you hide the loops at each end to a certain extent.

<snip>

There's been an argument going on about this on our own club site.  My side
of it was... <snip...>  Run the track around a castle, or lake, or
fairground, or something, but don't hide it.

Does anyone seriously think the viewing public are fooled by this huge 6"
square covered area where trains magically seem to enter in one direction
and come out travelling the other way?!?!?

On the other hand, trains disappearing and reappearing is a huge facination
for children and adults alike (myself included). That's one of the reasons
why traditional model railroaders have always added tunnels and hidden loops
to their layouts.

The point of covered areas isn't to fool the public, it's to intruige them. [1]

Rick C.

[1] Also, it's a heckuvalot less work and expense to hide an area than to
detail it.