 Trains / 23250
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:59:53 GMT

There's been an argument going on about this on our own club site.  My side of
it was that if you want to model a specific length of line to your own
satisfaction, then do it and forget about detailing the end loops.

But, when it comes to a display, hitch your line up to someone else's, and that
to someone else's, and let someone who wants to build the loops on the end as a
visible running area do it.  Run the track around a castle, or lake, or
fairground, or something, but don't hide it.

Does anyone seriously think the viewing public are fooled by this huge 6" square
covered area where trains magically seem to enter in one direction and come out
travelling the other way?!?!?  Because that's what you're expecting of them.
All you do is force people into a narrow angle from which to view the layout.

I'm all for diverse and separate sections along a display too, but too many high
dividers just inconvenience people.  I'd love to just slot a Classic Space scene
in the middle of one of our runs, with the trains going straight through
moonbases and stuff, but I know a few club members who'd have a fit if I
suggested it.  :-)

For exhibition layouts I would say I have to agree with everything youy say
above. Lego IS a toy and if you want trains to go through a moon-base so what?
Loops allow for continuous movement with less operator effort. My comment about
the exhibition layouts is more due to the fact that that is what I have seen the
most pics of. However there are people with pics of their personal layouts on
Brickshelf and they seem to follow the same pattern, although smaller.

I did build a single table-top shunting layout, with just enough ramp to have
two curved sidings pass one under the other.  It was great to have running
trains on our smaller displays, but it was tedious as hell to operate all day.

I remember you mentioning that at the Brickish AGM and thought it was
interesting. It sounds exactly the sort of thing I'd like to build FOR MYSELF so
that I could do complicated shunting when I wanted (but not all day!) Did it
work well, ie was it practical to operate or did it need intervention from 'the
great hand in the sky' a lot?

Tim