 Trains / 23228
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:28:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
Most people and groups seem to go for 'roundy roundy' track plans. For
exhibitions this makes sense as trains can be kept moving without too much
effort. However most people who have put trackplans or pics of their home
layouts on Brickshelf also seem to have followed this path. Is this because the
Lego motor isn't that great when used for shunting, or on end-to-end layouts or
is it just cos people are thinking 'toy trains'?
I don't own any 9V points or enough track to really test out end-to-end running
but I was wondering what others thought?

This is a common question in the general model railroading hobby. Conventional
wisdom is that unless you really like switching (or shunting if you speak UK
english) a continuous track plan is the way to go except for the very largest
layouts where you have multiple operators and can count on someone who likes
making up and breaking down trains in the endpoint yards to supply everyone else
with trains to run on the mainline.

Me, I like watching trains run. So my home layout will be a folded dogbone so
that I have two main lines  (really just the one loop running by in both
directions) visible in most places. One endloop will be hidden in my mountain to
reduce the toy trains on  a table effect.

A folded dogbone layout does take some space, it's true... unless you can get at
least 120 inches or more of linear length it's almost not worth the bother to
arrange

I'll have some sidings and passing tracks to be sure but just letting the trains
run, and then putting my nose to the table edge so I get a minifigs eye view as
they rumble by will be a large part of the operational regime.

Hope that helps.