 Trains / 23231
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:16:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel wrote:
"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@ascentialsoftwareDOTcom> wrote in
message
I'll have some sidings and passing tracks to be sure but just letting the trains
run, and then putting my nose to the table edge so I get a minifigs eye view as
they rumble by will be a large part of the operational regime.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who likes to put his face right down
next to the track.

I like to get as close as possible so I can feel the air currents as the
train whooshes by.

Ya, me too. I have been doing it for 30+ years (started with HO) and see no
reason to stop now. Just make sure your hair is clear from getting caught!

I first learned about folded dogbones from writings of the great John Armstrong
(of Atlas track planning books fame), back in my HO days. My biggest HO layout
was also a folded dogbone.

For those unsure what one is, go here:
http://www.michlug.org/resources/layouts.php#2003-03-15
then to the CKM museum layout here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/spearjr/MichLUG/PastLayouts/2003-03-15-stjoe.gif

The entire left side of the layout is a dogbone folded into a U (on its side)
grafted to a more conventional roundy roundy on the right which is connected via
a jogged crossover.

The lower left mountain fairly effectively hides that it's a dogbone end loop
(except when a train actually goes through it.)

The roundy roundy is also fairly effectively unclear if you're at eye level, all
the city blocks do a good job of hiding your eye from realising that there is a
loop there, all you can see are bits of track at the far end of streets.

In general scenery dividers can really help reduce the roundy roundy effect.

Here's a reference, kinda textual, but good:
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/BFSpages/LDSIGprimer/Blocks.html
which I found via this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=john+armstrong+folded+dogbone+layout+design&btnG=Google+Search

Hope that helps.