 Trains / 23240
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 00:31:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
A dogbone is good for giving an impression of a double track main line,
especially if you hide the loops at each end to a certain extent.
However what I was really wondering was whether the characteristic of Lego train
components effectivly precludes shunting/switching and or end to end layouts
because of the unreliability of the electrical pickup and slow speed control. (A
train that keeps moving fast is more likely to overrun any dead spots through
its momentum, but if it stops it may stop on a dead spot)
Obviously there are other factors, like a reliable uncoupling mechanism but I
still find it strange. In the model railroad world in the US there are a lot of
people who model an entire line, selectivly compressed, with the various
stations and yards along the way and run trains along the line.

Not having a good uncoupler out of the box is, I think, more of a deterrent than
the electric contact part but that's certainly a factor too.

But people DO create switching layouts... Rick Clark exhibited a timesaver
(famous switching problem layout first developed by John Allen) at BrickFest
PDX. Steve Ringe had a very nice engine service and industrial facility with
remote control uncouplers and remote control switches that was quite fun to just
shuffle cars and engines around on.

You're right though, most layouts are running layouts.

As to the other part of it, modeling an entire line, it has been my experience
that you see this on large layouts in smaller scales. L-Gauge is more like
tinplate in this regard, most tinplate layouts don't do that. (nor do most G
scale layouts for that matter) I think the factor here is the expense. It takes
a lot of track to make a 50 foot long layout, which is what one would need for 3
distinct scenes. And a lot of space in one's house.

I'm not sure that answers the question.

Hello All,

for my part, when I was in appartment, I had a small loop and a hump (slopped)
yard with a remote decoupler. I had fun switching car and then going in a loop,
then more switching.

Now after I finaly renovated my basement in my house, I just started a new
layout with 2 main rail line (except for the future montain where I have a
single main line) linked with a few modified switch and 1 siding for a train
station plus a few spur for industries. I also have a yard that will probably
stay flat due to rail configuration but I will have remote decoupler in the yard
as well as in the spur.

I like to switch card, move them around then switch again. I also like a
"minifig " vue of the train running.

I'm currently motorising every switch so I will be able to operate from a single
location (I'm doing a lot of walking now).

Martin