 Trains / 23265
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:06:07 GMT

Now that sounds like an interesting setup.  If you build a mountain large
enough, you should theoretically be able to set it up with parallel tracks  > and
an automated switching system so that one train can go into the mountain and
another train will come out the other side.  When it gets back around to the
other side of the mountain and goes back in, the first train comes out again.
Kids who are actually keeping track of the train as it makes its full loop
should be really impressed by that.

It's been done, certanly by VLC and probably by others.  (The magic long
trainshed by Larry P. as well, I think).

As regards why a circular layout- at home, I have enough room that I could run
end to end.  I don't, instead, I chose to make 2 loops and a connecting track
between them.  (lower and upper level, seperated by 40" of verical).  I have
something like 120m/400 ft of track in my layout, as well as the siding areas.
This is not really enough in my opinion to have a effective end to end layout,
so I have the 2 loops which allow for constant running on one, and shunting on
the other.  There are some fairly extensive switching areas, but nothing too
intensive due to the requirement to uncouple by hand.  I haven't gon to Kadee
type couplers because I don't view them as a requirement for operation.  If I
want to operate a layout, I can put the other bridges in and run my OO scale
stuff, which does have Kadee style couplers on some of it.  (and 3 link on the
rest).  My OO scale layout is also a loop layout, with 2 tracks continous, and
enough hidden sidings that it will be possible to operate in the above suggested
manor.  In fact, that was the main goal of my trackplan with the OO scale stuff,
was to run into a siding with a train, and then have the next one leave to
circle.  (I have enough sidings for 7 trains in each direction, wired with DCC
and detection blocks.  There is a LOT of wiring invovled, as well as some rather
expensive bits of electronis and programming...)  It is possible to do something
similar with lego and pure DC using mindstorms, because that is how my portable
Thomas the Tank Engine layout is set up.  It uses 3 RCX's to operate the track
switches and detect train location, and a regular train controller to provide
power.  (and it still requires more programming to get it to work right, but
since it won't fit into my shop, it is not here with me now for me to finish
it).

The operation of large end to end layouts can be fun, but it takes a lot of
skill to do it well.  I have some experience of this, having run St Albans at
the Toronto railway show a few times, and also having been yardmaster of the
Erin Mills N track display as well.  Lego is not the best option, IMO, to try
and make a switching layout with, because of the large areas required to
seperate the various scenes. There is also the funumental issue of train shows
where operation is expected at a rate that would be astounding except at the
largest yard on a railway...how often do you see 10 trains/day pass a spot on a
normal rail line?  Not that often, expecially in daylight hours...whereas on a
display model, it is expected that there will be something moving at all times.

(anyway, I think this covers a fair amount of ground)

James P