 Trains / 23254
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:33:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Tim David wrote:
   I remember you mentioning that at the Brickish AGM and thought it was interesting. It sounds exactly the sort of thing I’d like to build FOR MYSELF so that I could do complicated shunting when I wanted (but not all day!) Did it work well, ie was it practical to operate or did it need intervention from ‘the great hand in the sky’ a lot?

Here’s the track plan:

I don’t have any pictures of the finished module, but I think there might be some from the club events pictures.

The siding in the very bottom-left started on a pier at the front of the table. That went under a (low) bridge, then rose up to end on top of a sea wall to the far right. You then went back along the other main siding, and that went along the top of a curved, rising quay wall, over the top of the bridge and ended up in the top-left corner.

Obviously to shunt on it, you had to keep pulling the couplings apart and switching points. You could also only have one engine and one wagon to the right of the rightmost point, and only two wagons in each of the smaller sidings. I ran two locos and five small wagons on it though, and there’s plenty of scope for swapping them around to make up lines of trucks in the sidings.

But because of the rising quay wall at the front, the inner sidings were obscured from a child’s point of view. It meant things disappeared, then popped out from under the bridge, but most of what was going on was hidden. The ideal viewing height would have been at the top of the wall, not the bottom.

My next plan is to do a loop + elevated siding, that will at least fit on one of our modules with a shelf on the back. That will probably be Mediterranean mountain/coastal themed like the very end of the GWLTS II layout, so I can add rough arches and spaces to see through.

I also wondered about making it adapatable so it could be used as the turn-around loop on the end of a longer layout. I’d have to have much larger clearances on everything though, to take everyone’s trains. It would also mean hurrying it up, whereas I’d rather build several more spread out modules for the next display.

Jason Railton