 Trains / 23261
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:28:16 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:
I think the point Rick was trying to make was if you bring a mountain to a
show it's likely to be mostly assembled and takes far less time to make show
ready.

Or at least you hope so... ;P

I do have to disagree with the cost factor however. Building BIG items like
my engine shed or Larry’s mountain cost significantly more than traditional
baseplate modules.  Basically the short of it is I probably spent $500 or
more to build my module but in return it only takes me 5-7mins to put it
together.

The rarity of the pieces used, the level of detail, and the size of the MOC come
into play there.  Jason Spears likes to build small tudor houses in rare colors,
and Chris Leach likes to build tall structures (and using less common "natural"
colors, no less).  Neither style is particularly cheap, I'd guess.  Conversely,
a large basic mountain could be cobbled together for under $100 if you skimp on
the design.  Or that same $100 could be pumped into an exotic sports car that
can fit in the palm of your hand.

However, I doubt cost is the deciding factor in whether a mountain tunnel or a
row of buildings get used in the layout, especially once they've both been
built.