 Trains / 23260
Re: Roundy Roundy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 03:41:09 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Rick Clark wrote:
The point of covered areas isn't to fool the public, it's to intruige them.
[1]

Rick C.

[1] Also, it's a heckuvalot less work and expense to hide an area than to
detail it.

Is it?  Don't the tunnels and such need to be detailed as well?  Larry's
mountain may cover a large chunk of track, but I'd bet it could be cheaper to
just lay down a few empty baseplates, pepper them with trees and shrubs, and
stick a few nicely detailed small cottages inside the end-loop.

I think the point Rick was trying to make was if you bring a mountain to a show
it's likely to be mostly assembled and takes far less time to make show ready. I
do have to disagree with the cost factor however. Building BIG items like my
engine shed or Larry’s mountain cost significantly more than traditional
baseplate modules.
  Basically the short of it is I probably spent $500 or more to build my module
but in return it only takes me 5-7mins to put it together.
OnDrew