 Trains / 23257
Re: Idea for new train wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:28:24 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Sorry for replying to my own post but I just thought of something that some
of these wheels may need to incorporate.  I bet there needs to be some sort
of rubber traction "tire" on non-conducting wheels.  I would hate to see all
this get mocked up and then a 2 lb. train not be able to move because of
slippage.

Rob

Using a BBB wheel would be the best starting point. I know that many of the
train builders in Europe use the old spoked wheel, with a custom metal flanged
tire added. I'd recomend turning a standard BBB to remove the flang and a git of
the rim. And perhaps all of the rim on the back of the wheel.

I haven't seen the new blind drivers (flangeless) from BBB, but these might make
a better starting point. Either way the rim, plastic or metal could have a notch
to alow a O-ring or rubber band. But this would reduce your surface area for
electrical contact. LEGO has a very clever solution on thier 9v motor with the
lightly spring loaded metal rims.

I'd experimented with mounting BBBs on a early 9v car motor. It's the black
motor with 2 cross axel holes.
<http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/5011.1078044583.jpg>
I connected it and a standard 9v train motor to a potrain power supply using
long wires. Running on parallel track the 9v train motor ran a bit over 2x
faster, even a low speed. I'd hoped the larger wheels on the motor box would
make up more the the difference in gearing.

I also played with power pick-ups. Using the ball and spring type and brass
wippers. These were not actually picking up power, as I was using unmodified
BBBs. But unless you use a very week spring, the resistance seemed much higher
then the wiper verion.

If you want higher torque and don't mind the lower speed, I think the 9v car
motor, is ideal for modifying. Otherwise I'd recomend modifying a 9v train
motor. This assumes that you have wheels whith metal flanges. The later with a
new set of larger metal flang, and a swapped out plastic center may be the best
bet.

Mat