 Trains / 23256
Re: Idea for new train wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:27:52 GMT

In lugnet.parts.custom, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Sorry for replying to my own post but I just thought of something that some
of these wheels may need to incorporate.  I bet there needs to be some sort
of rubber traction "tire" on non-conducting wheels.  I would hate to see all
this get mocked up and then a 2 lb. train not be able to move because of
slippage.

In HO the presence/absence of tyres is sometimes considered a sign of low/hi
quality. High quality models don't have them because they don't need them, they
free roll enough that adhesion due to weight is sufficient. IIRC slippage is
more likely with a light model (attached to a heavy train) than with a heavy
model (attached to the same weight train)

XPOST .trains so the trainiacs that know more about this than I can see and
comment, but left the FUT to .parts.custom