 Parts / Custom / 5
Re: Idea for new train wheel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts.custom
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:00:08 GMT

Do we need the whole wheel to be metal? Or would snap on tyres be • sufficient?
What if you made metal flanged (and blind) tyres that snapped onto the • current
BBB blind wheel? It would increase the size a bit, no doubt but might • avoid the
expensive part of the tooling (the spokes and axle hub and stuff)

What arrangments owuld you make for power transfer? Wipers? Something that • was a
pair of wipers at one end (that somehow fit into something LEGO) and a 2x2 • wire
connector at the other end might be a good approach

My thinking was to use a technic beam as the support structure and have a
small ball bearing (bee bee?) and spring in one of the technic holes behing
the wheel.  That way, the ball bearing would make contact behind the wheel
and the spring would ensure tension.  I could solder a wire to the spring
and go from there to the motor.  Of course, all this is rough speculation...

But I'm thinking,
Rob