 Trains / 18916
18915  |  18917
Subject:
Width with respect to weight (was: Re: New Poll)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 16:04:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dirk Meier writes:
Hi Ben and John,

first my name is written Meier, not Meyer. Ben will never learn this ;-)

I noticed the gaff, but didn't want to embarrass Rhinehart;-D

For sure, it makes a real big difference. Mostly all freight cars before the
2nd world war have been 2 axle cars in Germany, same applies to other
european countries. Some of them are really long.
See here for pictures of my swiss SBB wine car:

This is a beautiful MOC indeed!

The rubber band steering mechanism works good.

I don't normally make 2 axle cars, but I did create an Annie and
Claribel for my Thomas the Tank Engine recently.  These cars are British, and
while they are pretty straight forward in terms of design, they needed a rubber
band steering mechanism as well (as designed by my son):

Now here is the kicker: I elected to make these cars *6 wide*, to emphasis
their "toyishness" (as is my Thomas).  Width was irrelevant.  They still create
a lot of drag (I use normal, tight turns for my Thomas branch line), and yet
they are about as light as you could possibly make them.  The main factor I
believe is the distance between the single wheels.

But do not expect to pull
more than 4 waggons with a 2 motor engine!

Then I say to Ben that he wouldn't be able to pull more than 4 waggons 7 wide,
either (using the same wheel distance).  So the issue isn't *really* about
width, it's about selective compression in *length*.  That's my whole point.

And curves must be interleaved
with straights, otherwise the train becomes very slow.

Yes, I also do this with my 8 wides, because 1) tight curves are
unprototypical, and 2) they create too much drag.

My engines BR 101 or V200 have a weight of 1,050 kg! So weight does matters.
You always need two motors for the engines.

Well, I tell you, 2 motors may be necessary, but mostly I use 2 motors because
I think it *looks* better (on diesels anyway:-)

Keep rolling, Dirk!

JOHN