 Trains / 18857
Re: New Poll / only boring promotion for 7-wide trains once again.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:52:56 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Sonnich Jensen writes:
Agreed. The advantage of 7-wide is also that it runs fine on 12V track,
8-wide will not. My original idea of 7-wide was "broad gauge".
7 wide looks more real as wheels are really under the train.

Right Sonnich,

I forgot to mention that this timme. Last point for 7-wide is the quite good
relation between height (more or less same as 6-wides) and width. At least for
European trains this should be somewhere around 1.2:1 for any closed waggon
body, while typical Lego®-trains are 7 bricks high (bottom of baseplate too
roof-top) and only 6 studs wide, which means 67,2mm:48mm = 1.4:1 .
The 8-wides realise that improved relation by getting 2 studs wider and - in
most cases - at least 1 brick higher.
Still their relation between the gauge and the body of the rolling stock is of
course even better. But you have to pay it with higher brick consumption and
(much) higher weight. As shelf models 8-wides are certainly the best choice.
For a train layout there are arguments for any width - but those have been
given here often enough, as it seems to me.
I also have promoted my 7-wide choice now often enough - so I better stop
now. (Even if it seemed to me, as if Harvey had not heard often enough of it
so far....)

Still, front sheilds on engines are problems when building 7-wide.

That is the price you have to pay for 7-wide. Plus lots of tricky
constructions with lots of center plates, studs in tubes, hollow studs in
center of 1xX bricks etc which makes building not easier, but surely more
challenging.

Leg Godt!

Ben

P.s.: 7-wide trains (and older ones in 6-wide):
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/original/original.phtml

the first 5-wide cars: