 Trains / 18904
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 22:54:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Kevin Loch writes:

Nine would be okay, but going odd width all of the time is a pain, so I stick
with 8 wide.  As long as you are willing to go up to 7 wide (more odd • widths),
why not just add the extra stud?  There *can't* be that much difference in
weight or brick count.

I have do disagree somewhat, John!

There IS in fact much difference. At least in one point which is quite
important for classic Eurotrash: ask for e.g. Dirk 'Rollingbricks' Meyer for
his problems with 8-wide 2-axle cars (as they have been and partly still are
very common over here).

Dirk?  Wo sind Sie? Lassen wir sprechen!

In 7-wide I am able to build my cars up to a length of 20 studs which means I
can make 4-wheelers (with 8...9(10?) studs space between wheel blocks) without
any trouble in curved track.
For any longer waggon you have to add a steering mechanism which affords more
height, more weight etc. At least my way of 7-wides is differing not too much
from most official 6-wides, so it is in fact a bigger jump to 8 (wider,
higher + much longer) than to 6 (only somewhat narrower and shorter).

But I am sure, there are ways to build heavy 7-wides as well as lightweighted
8-wides. But 95% of all 8-wide builders around try to press as much details as
possible into their models, that these are at least twice as heavy than my
models.

Proof!  I need proof!  Weigh your 7 wides against any 8 wides (but be sure to
weigh the same lengths (2 8wides vs 3 6wides, for instance).

And we have lots of 8-wide fans here in the FGLTC - I could mention more
builders of 8-wide than 6 wide now.

I must say that the coolest designs of LEGO trains come out of Germany-- you
guys rock!

But Ben, I have to ask you-- what does *width* actually have to do with trains
being able to negotiate turns?  As you said, it is about wheel placement.  If
you put wheels the same distance apart as Dirk does, wouldn't you experience
the same complications?

Now if you say that your trains are *shorter* than his, then I say that you are
making an unfair comparison.  Perhaps you have elected to selectively compress
your MOCs length-wise and Dirk has chosen to follow scale.  But what is
preventing you from compressing your MOCs length-wise and *still* make them
8 wide?

JOHN