 Trains / 18914
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:17:57 GMT

Hi Ben and John,

first my name is written Meier, not Meyer. Ben will never learn this ;-)

For sure, it makes a real big difference. Mostly all freight cars before the
2nd world war have been 2 axle cars in Germany, same applies to other
european countries. Some of them are really long.
See here for pictures of my swiss SBB wine car:

The rubber band steering mechanism works good. But do not expect to pull
more than 4 waggons with a 2 motor engine! And curves must be interleaved
with straights, otherwise the train becomes very slow.

My engines BR 101 or V200 have a weight of 1,050 kg! So weight does matters.
You always need two motors for the engines.

Dirk

"Reinhard "Ben" Beneke" <r.beneke@tu-bs.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Kevin Loch writes:

Nine would be okay, but going odd width all of the time is a pain, so I • stick
with 8 wide.  As long as you are willing to go up to 7 wide (more odd • widths),
why not just add the extra stud?  There *can't* be that much difference • in
weight or brick count.

I have do disagree somewhat, John!

There IS in fact much difference. At least in one point which is quite
important for classic Eurotrash: ask for e.g. Dirk 'Rollingbricks' Meyer • for
his problems with 8-wide 2-axle cars (as they have been and partly still • are
very common over here).
In 7-wide I am able to build my cars up to a length of 20 studs which • means I
can make 4-wheelers (with 8...9(10?) studs space between wheel blocks) • without
any trouble in curved track.
For any longer waggon you have to add a steering mechanism which affords • more
height, more weight etc. At least my way of 7-wides is differing not too • much
from most official 6-wides, so it is in fact a bigger jump to 8 (wider,
higher + much longer) than to 6 (only somewhat narrower and shorter).

But I am sure, there are ways to build heavy 7-wides as well as • lightweighted
8-wides. But 95% of all 8-wide builders around try to press as much • details as
possible into their models, that these are at least twice as heavy than my
models.
And we have lots of 8-wide fans here in the FGLTC - I could mention more
builders of 8-wide than 6 wide now.

Kind regards,

Ben