 Trains / 18907
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 07:05:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Kevin Loch writes:

G' Morning, John!

Dirk?  Wo sind Sie? Lassen wir sprechen!

I'm not Dirk, but I can try to tell him, you asked for him. He announces on
this board now and then, so he might follow anyway...

[length, width, weight].

Proof!  I need proof!  Weigh your 7 wides against any 8 wides (but be sure to
weigh the same lengths (2 8wides vs 3 6wides, for instance).

I would tend to compare even 3 waggons against 3 waggons as long as we talk
about brick consumption and running behaviour. A good looking train simply
needs a certain amount of waggons. I hope you see my point: I never said
anything about 8-wide being wrong or 6-wide being better and 7-wide being the
best. Every choice is a compromise. I see your point, but still I myself like
to scale my trains smaller than 8-wide. At least for the moment... And I do
not build so much trains anyway. All my last creations have been for the train
layout, but no rolling stock.

And we have lots of 8-wide fans here in the FGLTC - I could mention more
builders of 8-wide than 6 wide now.

I must say that the coolest designs of LEGO trains come out of Germany-- you
guys rock!

I have to agree, there are some expert 8-wide builders around and I enjoy
their creations a lot.

- 'Pudie' Abel and his Rheingold, freight and classic trains,
- Homa's Desert Express and Rivera Express
- Michel Brachmonds trains (he is from Luxemburg but always at our shows)
- Rollingbricks
- Felix Gross
- 'Friccius'
- Andreas's freiht trains (even if those are partly copied from Gianluca
Morelly and James Mathis)
- New 8-wide ICE by a so far unknon visitor.

But Ben, I have to ask you-- what does *width* actually have to do with • trains
being able to negotiate turns?  As you said, it is about wheel placement.  If
you put wheels the same distance apart as Dirk does, wouldn't you experience
the same complications?

YES!

Now if you say that your trains are *shorter* than his, then I say that you • are
making an unfair comparison.  Perhaps you have elected to selectively • compress
your MOCs length-wise and Dirk has chosen to follow scale.

Maybe I am not free to choose any prototype. But if I do a 7-wide waggon in a
length of 20 studs, then this should have 20x8/7 = 23 studs length.
The 20 studs waggon can pass curves the 23 studs one can't (without steering).
And of course the 8-wide builder is free to build even a car of 30 studs
length, since he needs to add a steering mechanism anyway. And more length
makes it easier. That is what is happening in most cases. So my waggons might
be partly length compressed, but only slightly (and we both know lots of HO
waggons are length compressed.

But what is
preventing you from compressing your MOCs length-wise and *still* make them
8 wide?

An 8-wide waggon with a maximum length of 20 would look a bit strange in my
eyes.

Leg Godt!

Ben