 Trains / 18908
Re: NSW 40 Class...revamped yet again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:50:01 GMT

In article <H8AvnI.IH1@lugnet.com>,
"Harvey Henkelman" <Ferroequus@webtv.net> wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
In article <H84JHs.4qz@lugnet.com>,
"Harvey Henkelman" <Ferroequus@webtv.net> wrote:

Here it is once more, but in an even more attractive red and light gray
livery (as well as makng a few refinements such as lowering the hoods to
achieve that classic ALCO outline)

http://community.webtv.net/Ferroequus/NSW40Class

Due to it's hollow construction and use of a single 9V motor, it is quite
lightweight for it's size. Fulfilling all the duties on my small 30"×72" of
a layout, it's no wonder these were called 'road switchers'.

-Harvey

Looks very nice. I noticed that you are faced with a difficult choice.
The airplane windows make an appropriately sized forward facing window,
but it leaves an unsitely gap next to the side window. A 1x2x2 window
would seal up the hole on the side, but I imagine the 1x2x2 window
doesn't look quite right though. Would an airplane window on its side
(with tiles placed appropriately to cover the studs) do the job as the
front window?

Chris

Thanks for the comments Chris, I've often pondered the question of the side
windows themselves. But then I recall that we often leave our cab windows
open (in warm weather, if the loco's not air conditioner-equipped) so the
gaps don't look too bad.
-Harvey

My comment was more aimed at whether the number and style of windows
matched the prototype. I actually use the open window look on my engines
(I usually leave out one window on the engineer's side of the cab). Open
window or not, it is still a nice model.

Chris