 Trains / 18976
Re: New Poll // Train History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:33:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
Hi Matt,

that is not correct as far as I know. All train always used special train
wheels (except from none-track based ones like 323 + 396). But you are right:
in the early years (from 1966 - 1971) they used the standard wheel blocks.
First with 4-stud wheels later with spoked wheels.

I think you might be right Ben, we have been collecting Lego trains since
1972 and even bought a few used sets at that time.  My trains have always
had train wheels, initially with four studs (as you say) and later spoked.
Some of the Lego motor sets I bought came with both train and road wheels.
For some reason the wheels intended for locos had a little loco symbol on
the inner side while the other train wheels had a little wagon symbol, I
have never noticed what the difference was.

The spoked wheels have a single stud in the centre for use with the yellow
piston rod. These look really cool on little locos!

Just a note, if you have these old red train wheels they will becom
discoloured when run of metal (i.e. 9V tracks).  Maybe this can be avoided
by putting rubber treads on all wheels not just the loco wheels.

The original Lego rubber treads may be hard to find but I have read a very
small racing bicycle inner tube can be cut up to make treads.