 Trains / 18902
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 16:28:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Kevin Loch writes:

Nine would be okay, but going odd width all of the time is a pain, so I stick
with 8 wide.  As long as you are willing to go up to 7 wide (more odd • widths),
why not just add the extra stud?  There *can't* be that much difference in
weight or brick count.

I have do disagree somewhat, John!

There IS in fact much difference. At least in one point which is quite
important for classic Eurotrash: ask for e.g. Dirk 'Rollingbricks' Meyer for
his problems with 8-wide 2-axle cars (as they have been and partly still are
very common over here).
In 7-wide I am able to build my cars up to a length of 20 studs which means I
can make 4-wheelers (with 8...9(10?) studs space between wheel blocks) without
any trouble in curved track.
For any longer waggon you have to add a steering mechanism which affords more
height, more weight etc. At least my way of 7-wides is differing not too much
from most official 6-wides, so it is in fact a bigger jump to 8 (wider,
higher + much longer) than to 6 (only somewhat narrower and shorter).

But I am sure, there are ways to build heavy 7-wides as well as lightweighted
8-wides. But 95% of all 8-wide builders around try to press as much details as
possible into their models, that these are at least twice as heavy than my
models.
And we have lots of 8-wide fans here in the FGLTC - I could mention more
builders of 8-wide than 6 wide now.

Kind regards,

Ben