 Trains / 18923
Re: New Poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 20:12:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matthew J. Chiles writes:

<snip history of LEGO train gauge>

We are just lucky that it is roughly to scale with minifig height.  If
someones car width bothers you, then remember that the guage is not to
scale with minifig width either (boy those guys are fat - or maybe
just short!)

"thin challenged"?

3 or 4 regular people can comfortably lay side by side
between the rails.  By that dimension Lego train track guage should be
6 to 8 studs between the rails!

Ahh, my new favorite pet scale: 8wide....GAUGE:-) (1:24 scale)

Of course you are right, Matt.  When I model "prototypically", it is really
isn't that at all, because I am not willing to forsake our dear Minifigs.
Though LEGO trains are closest to O scale in size, check out an O scale fig
(1:48) posed next to a minifig:
Obviously we have scale issues here;-)

Part of the charm of LEGO trains is the caricature of humans that minifigs are.
The more realistic one can make the surroundings about these guys, the more
pleasing it is IMO.

As a *toy*, it really doesn't matter how big LEGO trains are.  But as a part of
a scene constructed of LBB [1], the more one can recreate actual "scale", the
more interesting and fun it is to have the trains "believable" (and cars,
buildings, etc).

I am not denying that "minifig scale" (6 wide trains, 4 wide cars, buildings
without backs) is cute; it is, but I'm talking about a different kind of
cuteness, if that makes any sense.

I like to say "miniland detail in minifig scale" to describe it:-)

(I apologize for the soapboxing reply that wasn't really directed at you, Matt!)

JOHN

[1] In the interest of helping to protect the LEGO brand, I am floating this
new acro to replace the word "LEGO" when referring to LEGO bricks-- LBB
(pronounced "El Bee-Bee":-) "LEGO Building Bricks".  Just doing my part:-)