 Trains / 18915
Re: Minifigure Scale
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 13:55:42 GMT

It would also make minifigures around 3-4 feet wide with a 18" diameter
head.  It's silly to think you can use the mini-figures to prototype
anything to the level of detail you want to model.  For your pure
prototyping you might as well use your own figures, I would suppose that's
not a problem when you're willing to make your own pieces already.  *grin*

Having said that John, we're aiming for that whisimical fun on our layout.
We're going with the figures and to hell with the prototypical when it
interfers.

-john3

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
In lugnet.trains, Kevin Loch writes:

I agree.  I try to build all new trains 7 wide.  It's a bit more
work but it does seem to be the ideal size for the track.

*Ideally*, given that the gauge of the track is just under 5 studs, the correct
train width would be 10 studs wide (assuming standard gauge of 4 feet 8 1/2
inches).  That puts you at a scale of 1 stud = 1 foot.

That makes minifigs about 5 feet high, which is okay, I guess, but it ends up
making the wheels look noticeably small.

Nine would be okay, but going odd width all of the time is a pain, so I stick
with 8 wide.  As long as you are willing to go up to 7 wide (more odd widths),
why not just add the extra stud?  There *can't* be that much difference in
weight or brick count.

And I don't buy the "they look bad in turns" argument-- the fact is that even
if an actual train *could* navigate such a tight turn, it would look just as
ungainly.    So I use curve-straight-curve-straight for my turns.  And what if
TLC is working on new track geometry even as we speak? :-)

JOHN