 Trains / 18252
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:50:22 GMT

ARGHHHHH!!!

et tu Brute?

No Lathes!

...returns to lurking....

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia writes:
If (and when, hopefully) Lego makes drivers for steamers, I think they need
to meet this criteria:

Available in both blind and flanged versions.

Available in medium and large versions.  Large ones would be about 1 1/2
times the height of a minifig.  Medium would be just a bit bigger than a
minifig.

The one issue that comes to my mind is that if the flanged wheels get too
big, they'll have a tendency to 'climb' off the rails, especially on the
outside of curves.  As the wheel gets bigger, the flange would also have to
get bigger, and we're limited in flange size due to the heigh of the rails.

Current train wheels are just under three studs in diameter.  I think we
could get one just under five studs in diameter - that would be almost 50%
bigger compared to the existing wheels.  Of course, we'd need a different
way to mount them, something like the existing 'trucks' just wouldn't work...

I used some heavily modified 5571 hubs on my Milwaukee Road:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=6399  (thanks, J-2!) - the
size looked good, but it didn't handle the tracks very well at all.  In
fact, John Neal has a great video of it tipping over trying to negotiate a
switch track!  This was because of the other issue with taller wheels - you
have to be especially carefull your center of gravity doesn't get too high.
Because it it does, watch out!

Hmmm...  Might be time to get my hands on a small lathe and some raw
plastic!  <grin>

JohnG, GMLTC