 Trains / 18250
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:45:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Just to give you an impression of a wheel of that size, take a look at these
from LGB model train:
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/misc/pi412.jpg

http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/misc/pi413.jpg

http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/original/pi484.jpg

These are tested and they are in fact running fine. But as a modification I
would suggest to place the hole of the driving rods nearer to the center of
the wheel. (8mm ... 12mm from center). That means less movement of the rods
and therefore less friction and running resistance.

The one thing where I disagree.  With the rods towards the center of the
wheel, it just wouldn't look right.  They need to be in the correct spot on
the drivers.  That is part of the beauty (sp?) of steamers; the wonderful
movement of the side rods.

-Stefan-

p.s.  Thanks everyone so far for your responses and comments.  This is more
than I ever could have hoped for, not being as established on Lugnet as the
rest of you are.  Thanks.