 Trains / 18244
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 12:47:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
Available in medium and large versions.  Large ones would be about 1 1/2
times the height of a minifig.  Medium would be just a bit bigger than a
minifig.

Not so sure about this.  The problem with any long wheelset is that it has
to be flexible.  You can't have drivers up the side of your engine body, or
they'll foul on the body as you go around a corner.  The wheels, however
big, still have to ride on a bogey below the level of the soleplate, so I
don't think they should be any bigger than model team hubs.

um.  I _think_ it would be possible with a x-6-x loco and blind drivers (IE 2
sets flanged, 1 blind in that order) to get  them up the boiler.  I know it is
possible using the old large red wheels and tires to do so with a -2- loco,
because I have one, and, IIRC, it has also been done with a -6- loco the same
way (Robin S's Hogwarts Express/VLC)

These locos still had the wheels below the plate.  In fact, the plate looks
disproportionately high to accommodate them.  The problem with the
wheels-up-the-sides approach is that it fixes the body to the wheels at the
centre point of the loco.  When it goes round a corner, the front and rear
can stick out an awfully long way.  You need a lot of freedom of movement on
the front and rear trucks, and plenty of space on the outside of your
curves.  Most layouts allow room inside the curve, for long carriages, but
you'll have to check the outside too.  My first attempt at a large loco (the
green 2-6-2 in this picture) uses four fixed wheels (the back four are
fixed.  The front two form a bogey along with the front pair of guide
wheels) and it swings out a lot on corners:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.j.railton/sclf/mytrains.jpg

With this model (Lawrence Wilkes' photograph), I made a 4-6-2 with a motor
on the front, a floating bogey of four big wheels, then a bogey of 2 big and
2 small at the back.  The rear one is on a forward/back sliding pivot.  It
follows the line of the curve much more smoothly than the previous model.
Even though it's a longer locomotive, it doesn't stick out anywhere near as
much.
http://www.bricks.wilkesworld.co.uk/images/P9220010.jpg

I think you have to have wheels still small enough to go under the plate.

As for dark red, I was thinking of Caledonian Railways.  An obscure one I
know.  LNER also used to paint their hubs green.  But, as long as I could
get black ones, I'd be happy.

Jason J Railton