 Trains / 18258
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:30:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia writes:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

These are tested and they are in fact running fine. But as a modification I
would suggest to place the hole of the driving rods nearer to the center of
the wheel. (8mm ... 12mm from center). That means less movement of the rods
and therefore less friction and running resistance.

The one thing where I disagree.  With the rods towards the center of the
wheel, it just wouldn't look right.  They need to be in the correct spot on
the drivers.  That is part of the beauty (sp?) of steamers; the wonderful
movement of the side rods.

-Stefan-

Hi Stefan,

if you take a look at real steam engines, you can easiely find out, that there
have been different solutions. Some had the eye quite near the flange, but
lots of them had it much nearer the center than to the flange.

The telling factor here is the mechanical advantage desired. Fast passenger
locomotives with large drivers may well have their rod connetion point much
closer to the center proportionally than small drivered steamers intended
for low speed heavy freight service.

So if lots of prototypes had it there AND it is helpful for the operational
reliability of the Lego model I would tend to place it there. If the eye is
placed on a 12mm radius, that still does mean moving forward and backward by 3
studs! So even 8 mm radius will be enough in my eyes...

I would tend to agree that some accuracy can be sacrificed to yield better
operation.