 Trains / 18238
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:34:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

Available in both blind and flanged versions.

This is a good idea - then you can put linkages across a set of six wheels.
You'd have one axle blind and just have the other two running on the track.

Right, like O-Gauge trains have.  This is the configuration I'm suggesting
when I say this.  For those who aren't familiar with O-gauge, this means the
motor would attach to the body with the pilot and trailing trucks swinging
out.  Actually, I think this system is used in all the other scales.

Available in medium and large versions.  Large ones would be about 1 1/2
times the height of a minifig.  Medium would be just a bit bigger than a
minifig.

Not so sure about this.  The problem with any long wheelset is that it has
to be flexible.  You can't have drivers up the side of your engine body, or
they'll foul on the body as you go around a corner.  The wheels, however
big, still have to ride on a bogey below the level of the soleplate, so I
don't think they should be any bigger than model team hubs.

um.  I _think_ it would be possible with a x-6-x loco and blind drivers (IE 2
sets flanged, 1 blind in that order) to get  them up the boiler.  I know it is
possible using the old large red wheels and tires to do so with a -2- loco,
because I have one, and, IIRC, it has also been done with a -6- loco the same
way (Robin S's Hogwarts Express/VLC)

Agreed, this can be accomplished with the same config as mentioned above.
And those pulley wheels just don't scream "highballer" to me.  They're
barely bigger than the train wheels (well, the model team ones are w/ tires,
but then the valve gear isn't at the edge of the driver).

James or Robin S., could you give a link to the Hogwart's Express moc?
Sounds neat.

They have axle holes in the middle so we can motorize them.

I'm assuming you mean Technic axle holes- sounds good to me, but might require
two additonal pieces- a wheelset pickup, and a gearbox arrangement- although,
300 RPM is a realistic max speed, and can easily be achieved from the geared
technic motors.

Yeah, I hadn't thought about the pickups, but those would definitely be
awesome.  No more putting motors in the tender, and switchers and tank
engines would be MUCH easier to build.

The axle holes are vital if you want to use linkages between wheels.  You
have to keep an opposite pair of linkages at 90° (not 180° btw) to each
other otherwise they snag.  Even one linkage on two free wheels will snag.

I think you mean coupling rod bosses here...

umm...what?  I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what a coupling rod boss is.  I'm
talking about the side rods when I refer to valve gear linkages.

Available in black (a variant with white or silver rims would also be nice,
but not a necessity), gray, and red

Black & Dk red

Hmm...hadn't thought about dk. red.  What kind of engine uses dk. red
(question, not sarcasm)?

-Stefan-