 Trains / 18249
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:35:10 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia writes:
If (and when, hopefully) Lego makes drivers for steamers, I think they need
to meet this criteria:

Available in both blind and flanged versions.

Hi Stefan,

I would suggest:

- start simple with on1y one new mold and colours red and black! (if really
needed, we still could cut off the flange)
- even one size only is enough for hundreds of new designs. (1)

They have axle holes in the middle so we can motorize them.

Axle holes are needed for driving with connectiong rods anyway as explained by
Jason here:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=18236
So these are a must-have even for none-motorized engines. AND the axles make
it easier for TLC: we do not need a full wheel set, but ONLY ONE NEW mold with
quite 'simple' shape.

They have either:
   6 technic pin holes around the edge of the wheel

Too ugly.... Nearly all steam engines worldwide came with spoke wheels.

   1 technic pin hole with a molded in weight pattern opposite the pin hole

Yes, I would prefer that very much!

Valve gear linkages (that silvery pearlescent color or gray) would be very
nice to have, but not a necessity

No new parts needed: take existing parts from Technic. Anything with technic
hole will work fine as rods.

For size issue I would clearly give my vote for a ca. 38...39 mm diameter
(including flanges). Running diameter has to fit with standard-wheelsets.
That means the wheel is small enough to be placed into a
distance of 5 studs (= distance of the end holes of nearly any 1x6x0.33
technik part). There are lots of existing parts, that can be used for
connection of neighboured wheels then (all six-studs long plates,
steering parts with ball joint etc...).

Just to give you an impression of a wheel of that size, take a look at these
from LGB model train:
http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/misc/pi412.jpg

http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/misc/pi413.jpg

http://www.fgltc.org/bwoabs/trains/original/pi484.jpg

These are tested and they are in fact running fine. But as a modification I
would suggest to place the hole of the driving rods nearer to the center of
the wheel. (8mm ... 12mm from center). That means less movement of the rods
and therefore less friction and running resistance.

Just one more time my little input...

Ben

(1) I agree with JohnG - too big wheels (as your suggested 150% minifig size)
have a too poor running behaviour in curves. Additionally locomotives with
lots of axles look much cooler and can be realized with smaller wheels only,
since there is no chance even for a 2-6-2 with XXL-sized wheels...