 Trains / 18236
Re: My opinion on drivers...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 09:57:03 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Stefan Garcia writes:
If (and when, hopefully) Lego makes drivers for steamers, I think they need
to meet this criteria:

Available in both blind and flanged versions.

This is a good idea - then you can put linkages across a set of six wheels.
You'd have one axle blind and just have the other two running on the track.

Available in medium and large versions.  Large ones would be about 1 1/2
times the height of a minifig.  Medium would be just a bit bigger than a
minifig.

Not so sure about this.  The problem with any long wheelset is that it has
to be flexible.  You can't have drivers up the side of your engine body, or
they'll foul on the body as you go around a corner.  The wheels, however
big, still have to ride on a bogey below the level of the soleplate, so I
don't think they should be any bigger than model team hubs.

Anyway, you've mentioned two variants already, now that makes four.  I'd
just be happy with a single flanged style!

They have axle holes in the middle so we can motorize them.

The axle holes are vital if you want to use linkages between wheels.  You
have to keep an opposite pair of linkages at 90° (not 180° btw) to each
other otherwise they snag.  Even one linkage on two free wheels will snag.

As for motors, I'd be happy to continue using a regular train motor in a
leading or trailing truck.  For example, the front 4-wheel truck in a 4-6-2.

They have either:
   6 technic pin holes around the edge of the wheel
-or-
   1 technic pin hole with a molded in weight pattern opposite the pin hole

Definitely.

Available in black (a variant with white or silver rims would also be nice,
but not a necessity), gray, and red

Black is vital for British and American trains.  Red for German ones.
Personally I could use some dark red, but black would be my priority.

Valve gear linkages (that silvery pearlescent color or gray) would be very
nice to have, but not a necessity

Linking to valves on the body is tricky again if you have a flexible
wheelbase.  You can do it (Shaun Sullivan has), but I'd settle for just
linkages between wheels.

My thoughts too...

Jason J Railton