 Trains / 18235
Re: How to incorporate Large Church into town layout?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 04:51:19 GMT

In lugnet.town, Paul Janssen writes:

Thanks for all your nice comments, it looks lioke over 1000 hits in 1 day on
my Brickshelf folder, could that be true? In order to proceed with the
project, I have a few questions as a beginning city designer. I want to make
my church a part of my city, but don't want it to take up too much space. I
thought of building it onto a rock-like structure, high enough for monorail
and trains to go through. I would then be able to make it a corner project,
thereby not blocking view of other projects, and under the church would now
be the usually least exciting part of a layout, like 2 parallel railway
track corners. For now, the base of my church is 76 studs at its widest
point, and 163 at its longest. Before I take on my project, I'd like some
things clarified, so I only have to do it once. I'd like the input regarding
the following

I can't answer them all, others will I am sure speak up too.

Should I build a base in multiples of 32 studs, or 48?

32 will be more flexible.

How many bricks high (and wide) should the tunnels be to allow most MOC
trains to pass smoothly (including the track)?

Depends on the size of the MOC. RTLToronto's template seems reasonable enough.

How many bricks around a corner should be left free for trains to pass?

See above

Does the base need easy access to potentially pick up derailed trains?

Probably. Depends on how long the tunnel section is and what the track shape is.

In a layout, how many studs are the tracks from the corners, i.e. in a
double track, where on the base (48 or 32, see question 1?), are the tracks
located usually?

On a 32 stud base the spacing is:

4 studs of space
8 studs taken up by track (remember, track is 8 studs wide including the ties)
8 studs of space
8 studs taken up by track
4 studs of space

In other words the track centerlines are at 8 and 24 studs in from the plate
edge...

This is not the only way to do it but this spacing works out well for
corners as the outer corner is 1 track segment offset from the inner.

Other things I may need to consider before pooring time (and money) into this?

Na.. L0L