 Trains / 1761
Re: GMLTC at the NMRA National Convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 21:07:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
I just wanted to tip my hat off to all of you that did a simply stupendous and
awesome job on the convention, I have been truly inspired! This goes way
beyond anything I could have imagined!

I have a few comments: Did TLG (LG) ever help you in terms of ordering bulk
pieces or whatever? Some of those places (I.E. River, roads, quarry) must have
several thousand bricks each. Second, did you contact them with your overall
display? I hope it would stir up some coals away from the Town Juniorization
of all sets.

Finally, I have a building question. On all of your buildings, did you build
both the interior and exterior, or just the interior. I am OK at building
buildings, but my biggest stumbling block has to be getting an interior,
structurally sound building.

Again, great job, keep up the great work!

Scott " I can't close my mouth anymore" Sanburn

First, *Thanks* for the kind words!

TLG so far has given us two keychains, and an "Idea Book".  We've contacted
them a few times, and a few 'Special Events' people saw the layout at The
Great Create last fall.  They say "Great job, keep up the good work."  I sent
Consumer Affairs the section of the St. Paul Pioneer Press that had pictures
from the NMRA show, along with some photographs showing the crowds of people
around the layout, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

(dream mode 'on')
Who knows?  Maybe they'll pay our expenses to do next year's NMRA show in San
Jose!  And maybe give us huge quantities of bricks to build with!!
(dream mode 'off')

We estimate somewhere between 650,000 and 750,000 pieces in the entire
layout.  We have a standard plea:  "We need more bricks!"  <grin>

Almost all of the buildings in the town area have furnished and decorated
interiors, with lights so that you can see the insides.  The buildings are
built on small baseplates, so that they can be lifted off the layout for
transportation.  They're all pretty strong, we use any number of 'tricks' to
make them structurally sound.

John1
  (Of course, remove the ".nospam" to reply...)