 Trains / 1727
Re: GMLTC at the NMRA National Convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:26:02 GMT

You know, this might be worthwhile for all of us to pursue. If a hundred people
joined the NMRA as Lego Train modellers, that could really turn some heads.
Might make some of the old-school modellers take another think. I personally
think that Lego Trains are one of the few things that could inject some life
into model railroading. The hobby is having a hard time getting kids involved
because of all the collectors and expensive/delicate trains. Lego Trains could
easily fill the space that Lionel once took: Toy electric trains that kids can
actually play without significiant adult supervision, and that they can create
all themselves. Lego modelling has all the elements of advanced model
railroaing, but kids can start at a level that suits them.

It still floors me that Lego won't promote their own train system (or even -
allow- retail stores to sell anything but the starter set -- I still don't get
this).

Rick Clark
jrclark@aol.com

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:

<snip>

My personal highlights were when representatives from the next two NMRA shows
(2000 in San Jose, California and 2001 in St. Louis) asked us if we were going
to be at their shows.  And, when the president of the NMRA stopped by our
layout on Sunday to tell us what an "awesome" job we were doing, and how much
he enjoyed having us at the show.  He commented on how one of the NMRA's goals
was to get kids involved in model railroading, and what better way to
introduce them to the hobby than with LEGO trains!

Overall it was a GREAT weekend!

John 1
(of course, remove ".nospam" to reply...)