 Trains / 1691
Re: GMLTC at the NMRA National Convention
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:07:19 GMT

Steve has a Web page set up with pics from his digital camera.  I've
"test-driven" the site, and assume he'll release it publicly this evening.
Alan                In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley writes:
Sounds very impressive.  Are there any pictures of the event on-line?

Congrats on what sounds like a great event.

Eric

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
First of all, we ROCKED the NMRA show!  We had a location right near the front
doors, with great visibility.  We had 30 - 40 people around the layout at
almost all times through the entire show.  I saw some big HO and N gauge
layouts that were several times the size of our layout that had 10 people
looking at them.  And of course we were a HUGE hit with the kids.

John 2, Larry, Brian and Steve all brought new custom built rolling stock to
show off.  J2's "Thomas" was a very useful engine, and was very popular with
the kids.  Brian's amazingly decorated trains showed everyone how much detail
can be added with decals and tape.  Steve's Euro-styled passenger train made
several circuits Sunday afternoon, after minor modifications due to tunnel
clearance.  My red&yellow passenger train was the workhorse of the weekend,
making hundreds of trips around the track, and three trips to the floor -
*crash*!

Larry's car shed was a lovely addition to our layout, and my RCX controlled
turntable was pretty impressive in its first show.  (It didn't work perfectly,
we had a few derailments - but we'll fix those in "release 2.0"...)

We received some very nice press coverage, with two pictures in the Sunday St.
Paul Pioneer Press.  (We bought *several* copies!)

My personal highlights were when representatives from the next two NMRA shows
(2000 in San Jose, California and 2001 in St. Louis) asked us if we were going
to be at their shows.  And, when the president of the NMRA stopped by our
layout on Sunday to tell us what an "awesome" job we were doing, and how much
he enjoyed having us at the show.  He commented on how one of the NMRA's goals
was to get kids involved in model railroading, and what better way to
introduce them to the hobby than with LEGO trains!

Overall it was a GREAT weekend!

John 1
(of course, remove ".nospam" to reply...)