 Town / 5240
Re: City blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:06:38 GMT

Chris Leach wrote in message ...
Kevin ,what is your thinking then just a block being 1 32x32 baseplate • wide?
That seems to small.I have seen alot of train show pics and it seems most
clubs put at least 2 30" tables together

It seems to me better to have a small module which can be joined and
arranged in many different ways, than a large monolithic module. If your
basic module is 32x32 you can make an arrangement as large as you like
(including 2x3 baseplates with roads all round :-)  ), but the reverse is
not true.

Our club show layouts here usually have some sections 2 tables wide and
others 1 table wide. Our layout for this year has a tiny town (7 baseplates
by 3) because most of the layout s full of a theme park! There's lots of
variety among clubs and layouts, and a smaller module gives us more
flexibility without making it impossible to build large structures.

A smaller module is easier to pack and carry if you have no vehicle or a
small vehicle, or if you have to carry it to a get-together by plane, bus or
train.

I'd also like us to broaden thinking beyond train club show layouts. For
people who have their own town layouts at home and would like to build
modules which will fit there, or who would like a module to fit on a home
layout and a show layout, a smaller module is probably better. Ho many of us
have room for 2 - or 3- table wide layouts at home?

Also as for these being on tables
I don't think all those space modules (when a big enough group of people • say
at a brickfest or something) will fit onto tables. What was everyones plan
when alot of people show with alot of them?

I guess they'd put them together on the floor, or push several tables
together. I think they are doing a rather different thing than we would be
with a Town module.

I like Bill's ideas of plug-on wall accessories vs module join pins.

Kevin
NEW Cottage kit, 577 pieces! http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-cott.htm
LEGO TOWN PLANNING information:
http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/COntent/Townplan/townplan.htm