 Town / 5232
Re: City blocks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 04:58:43 GMT

<snippage>

So what is the exact parameter on it?  The space one is easy, largely (I
assume) a x-tra large grey baseplate.  It would be very nice to get a
unified town/train standard "block" going.

The trouble with this is that it can't fit on a 30" or 45" wide table.
For some train clubs, it's important to be able to reach all parts of
the layout.  So I am against any standard that requires buildlings to
be very big.  But see below...

I think the size standard should be some multiple of 32x32 baseplates.
Using 48x48 baseplates is complicated (unless you use 48x48 baseplates
in pairs) because the road plates are all 32x32.  For clubs that use
smaller tables (most clubs, I think), buildings would have to occupy
no more than one full baseplate in depth.  But for a club like
MichLTC, you might want to do two baseplates.  Width should be any
multiple of baseplates.

I guess that's why a lot of clubs use the "defacto" standard of the
PNWLTC train module specs.  It fits 4 48X48 x-tra large baseplates or
9 32X32 large baseplates on a single module.  (approx. 30 inches by 30 inches).

Another consideration is the proposed layout.  The basic layout is the
"oval" track.  This implies that the modules go around with the track.
With two curcuits (loops), a road way, and a single base plate (deeper
if you have a larger-sized building) is probably a good way to go.

You will have to go 2 modules side by side for structures such as
Chris Leach's White Office Tower, Scott Sanborne's Train Station or
Gas Station, and (humbly yours  and not trying to include myself in
with their creations) my Town Hall which is 96 studs by 64 studs.

The real problem is once the loops are set up, having the "engineers"/
organizers reach for the middle of the display, without having to
"low crawl" under the table(s).

Ben

If buildings are meant to touch, then I would suggest choosing a
standard placement of Technic 1x2 bricks such that they can be
securely fastened together side-to-side.  A building that could either
connect to an adjacent building *OR* have that side of the building
visible may have a balcony that attaches to the Technic bricks
instead.

For lack of any better idea, I would like to put forward 8 studs in
and 8 bricks high as the location of the Technic 1x2 brick for this
purpose.  That way, it's placed about right for attaching a balcony or
awning or other decorative element if that side of the building is to
be visible.

I'd also like to suggest that buildings should stick out by one or two
studs on the front, and that is how they would connect to the adjacent
road plate.  Above road level, balconies or awnings or whatever may
stick out as far as 8 studs (so as to not hang over the road).  On all
other sides, no part of the building may stick out beyond the edge of
the baseplate.  That includes cornices, balconies, and even the
shutter holders on windows (they stick out about 1/2 stud).  Anything
that sticks out on a side or on the rear should be detachable
(connected using either studs or Technic pegs).

If a building is meant to *not* touch on a side or rear wall, then it
should be set back 4 studs, to make room for an alley.

Any comments?

--Bill.