 Technic / 9991
Re: Airplane wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:42:40 GMT

"Joe Meno" <jmenomeno@aol.com> wrote in message
news:HD8ttJ.1r71@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:

Nice construction! Reminds me of the gliders made by Otto Lithenthal.
Made in LEGO?
I dont think I heard of the name before...
Do you have any info on the web about him?

Actually, he's an early flight pioneer...

http://www.curriculumassociates.com/LearningOnLine/wright/WW15.jpg

Ah! Now it comes to my mind. I've hear about him yes.
Was he the first man that got flight?
Wright brothers was the first powered flight.

And I misspelled the mess out of his name!
And thats why I couldn't find anything on the web about him :)

You're on the right track! The only thingthat comes to mind right now is • to
use flex tubing where possible to substitute for technic axles. That would
reduce weight and in some cases help define an airfoil shape.

Well, the flex tubes has no effect at all. They are not stiff enough to make
the wing more stiff. But the site about Otto Lilienthal got me thinking that
I do not need to clad (use plastic film) the bottom half of the wing. Just
have a layer on top. Maybe it will get better lift that way?
But it will be harder to make the plastic film stick to the frame....

Another thought is not using the technic axles at all in the back of the
foil. The plastic will serve to keep the shape of the wing there, so the
axles can go...it'll reduce weight.

Until now the second wing has 150cm wingspan but still weight too much. • And
I have too few Technic Axle too make it bigger without making it weaker, • but
it HAS to be lighter anyway. So off I go to try out a few other ideas....

Good luck!!
Thanx

Joe Meno

Regards