 Technic / 10016
Re: Airplane wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 06:39:11 GMT

hi
i still cannot imagine how your model would... land
bu there is hope...
i was looking at .technic during weekend at sunday
so i came back home and start to build the plane wing
i did much lighter construction
according to advices read here
so my observation tells if you want to have light and stiff wing
you have to look closer to lilenthal's followers
i know you want to build "as pure lego as possible" moc
so do i but i think the lego is not producing long enough strings
:))
in my opinion making the grate of strings will produce light and stiffy wing
i did one but don't have camera :((
my wing is about 1.2m long and it can be much longer
especialy if you will sling the wing in half of its length
as city cranes are :)

another observation tells me that cover of plastic film is not really good
this material is light but too soft and subsides itself
other words the front side of wing is not shaped properly
i suspect the paper should be better
or if you want it transparent you should use little bit thicker plastic
ie from some kind of folder

but i think we will do the plane
now i can see it's absolutely able to do

btw: my wing is balanced
so i can put it on the finger and it stays still

pixel

"Øyvind Steinnes" <senniets@online.no> wrote in message news:HD8oG9.1An6@lugnet.com...
Happy  easter hollidays!

Now I've at last got time to finish the first version of an airplane wing.
It had an wingspan of 133cm and the weight was 460gram. And when I atached a
light body and tailplane it glided a bit, but it was a bit too heavy so I am
no on the second attempt.

Forgot to take picture of the airplane with body and the wing cladded with
plastic. But you got an good idea how the wing is by this picture :
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Airplane/01_wing1.jpg

More pictures will be seen after moderation at:

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
Lugnet member #1983
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix