 Technic / 9984
Re: Airplane wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 18:24:55 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:

Nice construction! Reminds me of the gliders made by Otto Lithenthal.
Made in LEGO?
I dont think I heard of the name before...
Do you have any info on the web about him?

Actually, he's an early flight pioneer...

http://www.curriculumassociates.com/LearningOnLine/wright/WW15.jpg

And I misspelled the mess out of his name!

I do not want to build a hangglider. That is too easy, and involves more
plastic film than LEGO pieces....
I want to build wings that have real lift. With my first atempt I can see
that it is possible, next step is to build it bigger (more wingspan and
greater area) and hopfully find a strong and light way to construct it.

You're on the right track! The only thingthat comes to mind right now is to
use flex tubing where possible to substitute for technic axles. That would
reduce weight and in some cases help define an airfoil shape.

Another thought is not using the technic axles at all in the back of the
foil. The plastic will serve to keep the shape of the wing there, so the
axles can go...it'll reduce weight.

Until now the second wing has 150cm wingspan but still weight too much. And
I have too few Technic Axle too make it bigger without making it weaker, but
it HAS to be lighter anyway. So off I go to try out a few other ideas....

Good luck!!

Joe Meno