 Technic / 9982
Re: Airplane wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 17:09:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:
Happy  easter hollidays!

Now I've at last got time to finish the first version of an airplane wing.
It had an wingspan of 133cm and the weight was 460gram. And when I atached a
light body and tailplane it glided a bit, but it was a bit too heavy so I am
no on the second attempt.

Forgot to take picture of the airplane with body and the wing cladded with
plastic. But you got an good idea how the wing is by this picture :
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Airplane/01_wing1.jpg

Nice construction! Reminds me of the gliders made by Otto Lithenthal.

While I initially was one of the "what are you thinking?" people on this, it
hit me that a glider could be done using the methods you're using. To get a
motor, though....

My only thought is that I hope that you are building bigger...it's the only
way to get the wing area/weight distribution  to balance out such that it
could fly. It might be that you'll build a construction not unlike an
ultralight (large hangglider with motor unit on the bottom) to make things work.

Joe Meno