 Technic / 10106
Re: Airplane wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:29:34 GMT

I've not tried that one outside yet, but it is lighter and has bigger
wingspan.
Its 180cm and 520grams.

Interesting.

Planing on making a third version with dual wings, one on top of the other
like the Wright brothers airplane (is that called biplane??). It is easyer
to make an light wing with enough stiffnes to it with that construction and
with the material I have to make it off.

Biplane, yes. Or triplane if you have three wings, like the Red Baron (which
essentially have four counting the one in the landing gear).

Reason for the small V-shape seen from the front on the wings of an
airplane, is stability. And I got a natural U shape of the wing since it
bends uppwards on the wingtips in flight.

Ah, yes!

Actually I tried that metod, but I need strength in all three axis of the
wing since the technic axles ar not strong enoug themselves to hold the wing
stiff. Even when I apply the film the axles are too week to hold the wing
togheter in all directions.

Bummer!

Some has mentioned that I should remove the techinc axles in the back of the
wing, because the film would form itself in the back. But actually they are
not there for the plastic film at all, they are there because the wing would
bend backwards in flight if they wasn't there :)

What about using string as Pixel suggests? Then you could streatch that both in
the front and back, that would make a strong wing. You could also use string
supports on the upper and lower sides of the wing to help stabilize things.
Very early flightish!

LEGO is of plastic, and that ABS plastic is not too stiff. Actually it is
very soft and bend easy when you have that length of it. Remember this is a
180cm long wing! Just ask the guys that are making big cranes how much the
LEGO bricks bends :)

I've made a 202 cm wing:
http://www.lotek.nu/creations/hercules/hercules_pics.html

I did not have to worry the least about weight though...

What I need is a H shaped beam (or more like an I shape if you have TimesNew
Roman font). It is a bit hard to see on the photos how I made the middle
beam of the wing, but the 1x16 technic brick joined together in the end,
with two technic pins is been overlaped by the same type of structure on top
with two 2x3 plates between, locked together with the Quarter Oval 3x5
Lshaped Technic Liftarm in front of the wing..
Have to put that in the Ldraw file I've made to show how its realy made...

What I found making my wing is that a T-shape is easy to make. Just ram
2x-plates between the studs of other 2x-plates. It's too heavy though...

But I've got an hard time making a stiff, long and light structure for the
body of the plane, first one was light but bended so much that the rear
wings had no effect :)
And I'm open for sugestions....

Take a look at TJ's tips:
http://www.texbrick.com/ideas/truss/

A crazy idea pops up to my mind; making a "flying wing" airplane of LEGO?
Then ALL the body of the airplane is contributing to the lift?
But that is a hard one to make.... (not imposible, but a bit difficult)

Especially if you want controll surfaces. Perhaps you can use the fact LEGO
bends and use strings to control the warp of the wing?

What's next, wind tunnel testing? :)

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu