 Technic / 9987
Re: Airplane wing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:37:55 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Joe Meno writes:
In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:

Nice construction! Reminds me of the gliders made by Otto Lithenthal.

I dont think I heard of the name before...
Do you have any info on the web about him?

Actually, he's an early flight pioneer...

http://www.curriculumassociates.com/LearningOnLine/wright/WW15.jpg

And I misspelled the mess out of his name!

I am getting much inspiration from early flight pioneers.  Their contraptions
are fun and fascinating to watch, even those that did not fly.  Mostly their
designs are more easily translated to Lego.

I want to build wings that have real lift. With my first atempt I can see
that it is possible, next step is to build it bigger (more wingspan and
greater area) and hopfully find a strong and light way to construct it.

You're on the right track! The only thingthat comes to mind right now is to
use flex tubing where possible to substitute for technic axles. That would
reduce weight and in some cases help define an airfoil shape.

I have been trying flex tube as cross members in my rotory wings.  I do not
have enough for a completed model.

Another thought is not using the technic axles at all in the back of the
foil. The plastic will serve to keep the shape of the wing there, so the
axles can go...it'll reduce weight.

A good idea!  I will try it, too.

Regards,
        Paul