 Technic / 9990
9989  |  9991
Subject:
Are "classic" technic parts doomed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 07:00:07 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Is TLS abandoning the classic "Technic" design concept completely?

Looking at the new "Technic" sets, it seems that TLC continues its
abandonment of the older "classic" Technic concept using holed beams and
plates - replacing these with the newer rounded beams, and axles/connectors.

Instead of augmenting the more traditional Technic parts, it seems that a
wholesale conversion is underway where the older design parts are destined
for extinction.

While the newer parts DO connect with the older parts - in ways that can be
debated (easy or difficult), I personally feel obliged to protest this trend.

Having - with great difficulty - acquired an inventory of Technic and
Mindstorms components used in teaching (and by my own children).  However, I
find it increasingly difficult to obtain additional supplies of traditional
beams and (especially) plates (2x) in newer sets.  They seem to surface only
in set reissues and are noticeably absent or rare in "new" sets.

IMO, a continuation of this trend only serves to isolate older "Technic"
sets from newer "Technic" sets - making them more like mutually exclusively
lines instead of one general design approach where all parts work well
together.  The older traditional Technic parts seem to serve as a much
better bridge between regular Lego pieces and the newer design pieces.
Without the classic Technic pieces, it is more difficult to use the newer
pieces with traditional Lego pieces.

It seems like DACTA is the last refuge for these items - Mindstorms seems to
be gradually dying off - with Spybotics using the newer style parts exclusively.

I STILL believe that there is a large - and commercially viable - market out
there for something like "Technic Buckets" - full of technic beams, plates
and more in a wide variety of colors.  The kids I teach have a field day
building with Technic - yet most have had NO exposure to them and are
unaware that such things are even made by Lego.