 Technic / 10014
Re: Are "classic" technic parts doomed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 01:19:39 GMT

Just look at the 3 new "Technic" sets.  All seem to be made exclusively
using the new style rounded beams and plates.  I don't even see any
traditional beams in any of the sets.  Note - having not yet seen these in
stores, I'm going by the SAH images.  THAT is the point I was making.

The new pieces offer different possibilities but they are of limited use if
you don't have the classic beams to "bridge" systems.

TLC sems to be devleoping "Technic" as a separate - and not very compatible
to Classic Lego - line.  Without holed beams, it is not all that easy to
interface these new Technic pieces with the old.  Again, it seems like TLC
is missing the boat here as there is a very busy - and apparently profitable
- secondary market for classic technic pieces.  You'd think TLC would be
looking to make some money here by meeting demand with NEW pieces.  After
all, TLC doesn't make a cent when parts are resold for the second or third
time.  Given the prices I see for technic beams it sure seems like demand is
outstripping supply.

In lugnet.technic, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Ah, it's about time we have a new thread about the possible death of
"traditional" Technic LEGO again!

I think that, while there is indeed a large abundance of new style
technic parts, which I welcome, there is also a major use of traditional
technic beams.  Take the large formula one cars as examples, or even the
large 4x4 car -- they still include technic bricks to compose the
chassis.

The technic bricks are important parts, as they interface the technic
style parts and the non-holey bricks.  As such, I don't think we are
going to see them go away any time soon.

Fredrik