 Technic / 4198
Re: a question for those with lots of technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 02:37:04 GMT

The US has a HUGE fleet which makes it hard to spot trends sometimes. The
vast majority of over the road trucks continue to be 18 wheelers (tractor
with 1 steer axle, 2 tires, and two drive axles, 4 tires each, trailer with
two axles, 4 tires each). However I have noticed a slight increase in the
number of single tired axles on trailers. Very slight, so far. A single axle
instead of two is more common. We've always had a lot of variation (trailers
with smaller wheels for highcube low weight lading, trailers with extra
axles, steel centipedes with 8 axles all of which can be independently
raised to "walk around" corners, etc) so it's hard to tell.

Yeah...I'm in the US too and mostly see the usual 18 wheelers. I have seen
quite a few trash trucks though which seem to have 3 drive axles in the
back, each housing 4 wheels (making total number of wheels 14). The
interesting thing is that the rear axle that's closest to the front steering
axle seems to be liftable several inches off the ground (I have seen some of
these trucks raise and lower this axle while stationary). Anyone know what
this system is for?

However dual steer axles are very rare overall. Much rarer than in the UK,
they are used only in very special situations (cranes and the like) where
there is no way to balance the load without using them. Usually the vehicle
itself was imported from Europe, although I have seen one Mack that had
them. Once.

Same here; I also have only seen a 4-wheel steering verhicle in action once
(an unusually large back-hoe unit). Are these more common in European cities?

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com