 Technic / 4189
Re: a question for those with lots of technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:03:12 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

The US has a HUGE fleet which makes it hard to spot trends sometimes.

Great answer Larry, you must have a mind like mine that accumulates all this sort of
stuff for later citing. My head is full of it, which is pretty sad in a way but
useful if one makes Technic models :-)

steel centipedes with 8 axles all of which can be independently
raised to "walk around" corners, etc)

This sounds interesting - are there any photos out there?

I think part of the reason for dual wheel popularity is the vast number of
truck stops we have that are equipped to service them (at 700 bucks a tire
to replace one tire!!!) making change (of the equipment) a long and
expensive proposition.

I suspect a major factor is the difference in fuel costs between the US and UK.
Using larger single wheels as opposed to doubles apparently gives a small
improvement in fuel economy, which is obviously a greater incentive for UK hauliers
than their US counterparts. Presumably the initial extra expense in re-tooling for
those tyres was more justifiable in Europe than in the US.

Jennifer Clark